How do I get my DD (6) to mind?

I ask her to do something several times before I get up set. Once I start counting to ten she is yelling at me to stop. She is asked to do simple task like; do a sheet of homework, stop torturing the cat, go start getting ready for bed. I have done all of the choirs neither she or husband like to anyway. I'm available to help her just not to do everything for her. I will credit her when in a blue moon she helps with choirs. I do need more patience, But what I'm doing wrong???

avaNmomma4ever

Asked by avaNmomma4ever at 11:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The first time she doesn't do what she's told to do, GET UP and redirect her. You are giving the opportunity to ignore you. You shouldn't have to request something to be done more than once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I would give her a choice: "Honey, you have two choices. You can do your homework now, and then you can watch tv/play your ds/go outside; or you decide not to do your homework, and besides failing in school, you will not watch tv/play your ds/go outside."

The important thing here is to FOLLOW THROUGH, otherwise it is just an empty threat, and one more reason for your DD to believe that she is the one with the upper hand. Do not ask her repeatedly, simply follow through with the consequences of her choice. You don't have to get upset, either. Just be calm and remember, Your the Mama!
    IGotThis2

Answer by IGotThis2 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Spank her. Tell her once, if she doesn't mind, spank her. I only had to spank my kids a few times before they learned that mommy means business. Now I never have to spank them and they always mind.

Let me reiterate that I said "spank" not "beat".
    Anonymous

• If you want it done, stop counting to 10. Tell her once, count to 3. and let her know if you get to 3 you will spank her. Do this each time. After several times, she will move as soon as you start counting because she will know you mean business. Eventually, it will become a rare occasion that you have to count or spank.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2009