Planning a wedding..

Okay, Devin and I are finally planning our wedding for next October. We do not want to spend A LOT of money, I just can't fathom spending so much on one day. I know it's an important day & I don't want to cheap out on everything, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than $12-15,ooo on this event. If you did your wedding on a budget, what did you cut back on? Any DIY ideas? The only things I'm not willing to cut back on is food & the cake. Have a venue already & we're only doing wine & beer to cut down on beverage costs. Need suggestions, please!!

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 11:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• you wouldnt believe the things you can get at walmart..i got my wedding cake topper, guest book, garter belt, and that sorta stuff there...you can also make little gift bags for each seat using stuff they have in the wedding section at walmart...they have alot of cheap ideas there...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Your only serving wine and beer? What about for the kids? That doesn't sound like something you should be cheap on.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I meant as far as alcohol. There will be soft drinks. However, there will be no kids.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Ah, that makes more sense.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• How many guests?

We saved $ by keeping our guest list down (invited 75) and having it on a Friday night instead of Saturday night...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We're inviting 75. The place we rented, we get it for the whole weekend, Friday-Sunday. Thought about doing it on Friday, but then the rehearsal would have to be Thursday & then we'd have to have the rehearsal somewhere else. Right now, we're going to have the rehearsal at The Grail (http://www.thegrailatcornwall.org/rental.html - check it out, it's beautiful!), but keep that very small (20 guests) and do the cooking ourselves. I know I have time, but I just started talking to caterers & it doesn't look like we're going to get anything for under $90/person..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• For food, check restaurants and hotels as well as caterers, you should be able to find something considerably cheaper, although you may need to have it picked up. You could make the food buffet instead of having servers. I would hire a DJ instead of a band. You might consider calling your college photography department for a photographer. Just be sure to look at their portfolio carefully.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• hahaha! My wedding budget is $5,000.....and thus far, it's going to be a great wedding. Number of guests is the first thing. Do you want 500 at your wedding? Or can you manage to have only 100. That will be where your money is at. I'm only having 75, so i can manage spending less on everything. Things that i did to lower my wedding costs

1) no catering. I have 2 friends that are cooks, they are preparing everything

2) no photographer, buy disposables & have everyont place them in a box after the wedding. If you knwo anyone w/ a good camera, give it to someone & ask then to take photo's of certian highlights of the event.

3) only serve beer & wine....aks people that if they want to bring a cooler w/ cocktales, go right ahead. Not many people would want to do this, but i just went to a big wedding that did...and it worked out GREAT!

4) no grooms cake, or anything like that. That is just stupid

i'll add more later
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I didn't think about consulting with restaurants. I did want to do a buffet, I was thinking of putting an ad on craigslist to find a couple people to help set up & break everything down, rather than hiring someone out of a company. Definitely going with a DJ & I just thought about that same photographer idea this morning! I also thought to only hire them for two hours - enough to get ceremony & formal pictures, then get disposable cameras for my guests to take pictures the rest of the night! Thanks ohwrite!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No DJ or band

Ask friends to make play lists or CD's..i already have 17 hours of music that people gave me for the wedding. No DH, just a good sound system.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2009