Disturbing Statistic on evening news last night about downs syndrome: 90% of women who find out that their baby has downs abort!!

The evening news last night reported the incidence of downs is increasing but the birth rate of downs is dropping bc women are choosing to abort babies who test positive for downs while pregnant.

It said that the majority of women in this age bracket are over 40 and 90% of those who test positive are aborting soon after.

WTF? I thought that those tests weren't 100% accurate anyways? I was shocked to hear this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never had an abortion and would not promote doing so, but if I was told my baby had downs I would make the decision to send it back to God. Life is not fair to the child, the family or the parents and I am sure people are going to start yelling how they have a downs kid and they are great and everyone is happy.. well, I am saying that for myself I choose to show mercy to my child and my other children who count on me for their care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• OP here-ANon 11:45-do you think that its far for women to wait until their 40s to have babies???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Anon 11:47

Maybe the women really wanted a baby and didn't find the right man, or had trouble conceiving, until they were in their 40's. Is it really your place to judge? I suppose everyone should go out and have a baby at 16?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Having a Down's Syndrome child means you will probably have to care for the whole child's life. Not just 18 years. There are medical and financial issues. It will profoundly change everything about your life.

Having an abortion is legal for any reason. We are not talking having an abortion because the baby has brown eyes. This is an abortion of an abnormal fetus.

I have 3 children with genetic diseases. They were not diagnosed until after the birth of the 3rd. They have cost society millions of dollars. I can understand why someone would not want their lives changed in the ways mine has been.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I don't take the test that tells you. Lead me not into temptation.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I don't ever take the test. And why would all of these women wait until they were so late in life to try to have children knowing that they are at an increased risk of having a downs baby? I may have had my children young but at least I can say I never aborted my child because they had a defect that I knew it was very possible for them to contract thanks to my late parenting plans.
    Anonymous

• I guess 90% of women who are pregnant w/ a DS child, don't have what it takes to care for a child w/ downs syndrome. Get over it, people have abortions every day. Never going to go away completely.

Gail is right. If PROFOUNDLY changes everything in your life, for the rest of your life. Not everyone can deal with that. And not not many people will adopt a child w/ downs. So, adoption is a hard decision to make also.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• that sucks but honestly if you have a problem with it, contact your ob and give them your info for you to adopt a downs baby..... if someone would chose to.... until you stand in someone's shoes, you cant judge. and my ob had a false positive on that test too...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• How sad when I was pregnant at 18 the test came back positive for Downs even the Amino came back with a positive for Downs. My doctor and others tried to pressure me to abort my son. I told them no way. I had my son he did not have Downs Syndrome and there was nothing wrong with him at all. He was a healthy 9lb 2oz baby with a perfect apgar score. Even if he had Downs I would not have cared that is my child and people with disabilities live full lives. I wonder how many healthy babies have died along with the Downs because of this. So sad.
    Anonymous

• It depends on which test you are referring to. The AFP blood test is highly inaccurate and after a scare with my first pregnancy I chose not to take it for the following 2. However if they have had an amniocentesis it is dead on accurate. I have had 3 amnios and was never told it could be even slightly questionable.     

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009