Patriotism Under attack. Quote from Pledge of Allegiance; Home Depot says he violated dress code.

maybe if Obama's name or slogan was on it , his job would still be there. Lowes here I come.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33505354/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't read the link. But I would almost bet that he wasn't fired because it said something about the plege of alligence, but because most places like home depot have a dress code that says no shirts with writing one them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• The employee had been wearing the button for over a yr, So why now decide to fire him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I worked at Walmart for three years and half the time the managers didn't notice minor dress code violations. It was button? Yeah, like managers go around looking at people's button's on their vests all day long.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think it has to do more with bringing in the bible to work than the button.

"Then, last month, when he started bringing his Bible to work, Keezer says his manager confronted him about the button."

Anonymous

• maybe if Obama's name or slogan was on it , his job would still be there. Lowes here I come.

Wild jump you just made there.....

and if it against policy, he has a choice, remove it or find another job.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I just read about this...what kills me is that what was on the button was a phrase that is straight from our Pledge of Allegence. Its not just a religious button with the word Jesus or God on it or a picture of a religious symbol like a cross, it has our American flag on it and the word God.

I think its going to be a tough case for him to win in court BUT on the other hand, it really does seem like discrimination based on the religious connontation of the button...I wish him luck, id sue too and im not a "sue happy" person so to speak. Hope he has a good lawyer that can hold his or her own in the courtroom!

and about the Bible....he brought it to read during his break, he wasnt doing anything during work time with it, I dont see an issue but if someone was going to discriminate the man on religious grounds because of the button he was wearing, im sure the Bible just put the icing on the cake so to speak.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think that if it is in the dress code then I guess he should have listened, regardless of how long he was wearing it for
    ...and why did you feel the need to turn this into an Obama attack, seriously do you have nothing else to do so you have to take a completely unrelated article and bitch about him?
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• if he wants to support the country to badly why didnt he accept the "united we stand" button?

he dosent have the right to break dress code, even if the company didnt notice for a year. someone prolly complained about the button after realizing he was Christian (which is silly on the complainers part) but Home Depot has to follow their code. its not like it goes against his religious beliefs not to wear that button...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• "It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said. Nope, you chose to break company policy, given the choice to stop you chose to keep breaking policy

A Home Depot spokesman said Keezer was fired because he violated the company's dress code. "This associate chose to wear a button that expressed his religious beliefs. The issue is not whether or not we agree with the message on the button," Craig Fishel said. "That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."

Exactly

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think its going to be a tough case for him to win in court BUT on the other hand, it really does seem like discrimination based on the religious connontation of the button...I wish him luck, id sue too and im not a "sue happy" person so to speak. Hope he has a good lawyer that can hold his or her own in the courtroom!

Your not sue happy but you want him to sue and win, so that a private company can no longer have the right to enforce a dress code?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2009