grades

Have you had problems with your child turning in work or not bringing homework home to do? Have have you solved this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Call the teacher and have the teacher call me when their was a problem on her end. Take awasy things. Get a notebook and have child write down all homework and teacher sign it to be sure you see everything they have to do. When they finish you check it, aign the book, and send it to school and teacher will know you are doing all you can.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If that happened then I would be picking my son up everyday and walking him from teacher to teacher to make sure he has all the home work !
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Do not punish the child or take things away. Punishment never teaches good behavior. Sometimes, not for most kids, it will stop bad behavior. What usually happens is it will make the kid be more sneaky and make the kid resent the parents.

The book How to Talk so Kids Will Listen is a great book and talks about problems like this. It sould be at your public libraries. There is a great workshop based on the book that some libraries have that you could do by yourself or you could get some friend together and do it as a group. This book can change your life.

The best form of parenting is called authoritative. You might want to read more about it by doing a google search.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 4th grader is like that. She has stopped bringing her assignment book home saying she "forgot" it and even when she does bring it she either doesn't write the assignments or doesn't write them correctly. She "forgets" books, lies about having homework, doesn't turn stuff in.
    She went from being a straight A student to barely passing her classes this year. She doesn't care about school or homework. She got a 64 on a test the other day and was like, "well, I can make it up with extra credit".
    I'm not sure what else to do except let her fail and deal with the consequences of her actions. She's smart, too smart for her own good sometimes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I pick up my kids each day. The first thing I ask is if they have homework. Sometimes, we've run back to the school to get it, but mostly they remember because they know I'm going to ask. Another thing you can do is ask the teacher to remind the class before leaving that everyone takes their homework.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My IL's school district has teacher website where they post the homework. If you don't have that, you could ask the teacher to e-mail it to you daily.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• call the teacher and tell her you are trying but you cant get a clear answer about the hw. get a daily planner and ask the teacher to jot the hw down, if your kid is old enough they should write it and teacher should quickly check it... good luck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I email my daughters teachers and ask them what she has to do or what she hasnt turned in. Then she cant dispute the issue and she knows you are following up with her teachers, so she is more likely to stay on top of homework.
    sdjkl

Answer by sdjkl at 3:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm the original poster. My child is in 1st yr of middle school so you would think she would be more responsible. We have a homework hotline and grades online so you would think there would be "no excuse" because her parents know, you know. It isn't making a difference. They get F's for not turning work in too.
    Anonymous