Real Estate License

Does anyone have a real estate license. I am thinking of going to school to get one. Any thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would advise checking where you live before spending much time or money pursuing it. Real Estate Brokers are not as in demand as they once were in many areas and commissions are much lower than in the past. I don't work in that field, but I know a lot of people who have done it for a short while and realized it was different than they expected, and I also know people who are sticking it out and making way less than they did in the past. I'm not trying to discourage, really. Just be sure you do your homework before you jump into it. GL!
    Anonymous

• I have been wanting to do the same thing! My dad is into real estate and Ive asked a couple other people (and on other networks) to get advise. Basically EVERYONE told me how its not a good idea because of the market. My response to that was this is the perfect time then! I can start off slow so when business does pick up I know what I'm talking about.

My dad went to Champions. Its an online school for real estate. I plan on doing that also. GL! PS: I am also looking to intern part time with a real estate lady to make sure its what i really really want to do. Maybe you should try that too before you put $1,000 into it. Hope everything works our for you!!

beka03

Answer by beka03 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have my license, I don't currently use it. I 2nd the vote on checking in around your area. I live in Raleigh NC and the housing prices didn't really fall much in comparison to the rest of the country, and people are still buying houses, but real estate agents are a dime a dozen as they are in most places now. It takes a very long time to actually get a decent business started with referrals and repeat customers. If this is something you're going into thinking to make some money now, I would probably look elsewhere.

Answer by missanc at 12:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I see you're in the Inland Empire. Right now, I would NOT spend the money in this area. There are too many real estate folks here already.

But if you want to pursue it: You will need to do the coursework. 18 days minimum for that and when I did the work it was $900 for the online classes. Then you schedule the test through the state. And the weekend before, you take a crash course to help you pass the test. That's about $300.

If you pass the test, you'll need to get fingerprinted and pay your licensing fee. Then you are free to go to work. BUT...you won't get paid till you sell something.

And since you live here in the IE, you know what THAT picture is like. If you NEED to be earning income immediately, RE isn't the field.

Right now, the ROI isn't great.

FYI...there is a job fair going on at the Ontario Airport tomorrow morning, from 9AM - 1PM.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm thinking it's a poor career choice right now. In case you hadn't noticed, the economy has fallen apart, half the country is out of work or underemployed, and houses aren't selling.
    Anonymous