Breakfast before School ??

My 11 yr.old DD wont eat breakfast before school ( Ive tried many different types of breakfasts ) she says shes not hungry in the morning, I know she needs to eat, any ideas?? Suggestions ??

daralynn

Asked by daralynn at 12:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am not hungry in the morning so I have an Instant Breakfast, it is quick and easy. Plus for her age group they need more calcuim, so that wouldn't hurt eigther. I would also see if she would be willing to take breakfast bar or grainola bar with her to school to munch on before lunch.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• The rule in my home is that if you don't eat by yourself I will have to feed you. I have two boys. So breakfast in my house is never a problem.

Maybe DD is tired eating the same thing - ask her what she would like and try fixing that. Or maybe she is weight conscious - fix healthy stuff and let her know that it is healthy. Kids - boy they are a lot of work.
    mommydearest31

Answer by mommydearest31 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I know I cannot eat right after I get up. I have to wait a couple of hours. Obviously, she doesn't have that option, but I would see if she can eat something a little light. If I'm forced to eat right away, I find I can usually stomach some yogurt, or an apple or a kiwi. Ask her to try a few different things and see if she can eat them. Also, when my sons were not eating as well as I would like, the ped said they drink pediasure to fill in nutrition gaps, and she said they would work as a meal replacement, like adults drink Slimfast to lose weight, only it isn't for weight loss. Maybe she could drink that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think by 11 she would know if she was hungry or not. You can't force her to eat. I'm not a breakfast person. I rarely ever eat before 10am even when I'm up at 6am. When I was a kid I never ate breakfast and if I did I would get really sick before lunch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my 12 year old is never wanting to eat breakfast either so at the begining of the week i ask her what she wants for breakfast that week (usually its pancakes) so on sunday night ill make a big batch of pancakes or what ever she wants and then ill freeze them and just warm them up in the mornings
    chrisana

Answer by chrisana at 7:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I don't eat breakfast. If I eat right after I get up, I get sick. I have to wait atleast an hour before I can eat. You can NOT force her to eat. She may not be hungry. She if she will drink a glass of juice or a smoothie. If her school offers breakfast, see if she will eat there. My son's school has really good breakfast.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• leave her alone for now, i don't think any of the four of us ever ate breakfast growing up. but we ate like horses at lunch. she's aware of herself by now, let her be.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. She should eat something. yogurt, granola bar, a glass of juice or milk. Remind her that skipping breakfast or any meals can slow down her metabolism and cause weight gain.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Try having dinner early and no snacking after dinner. We do a variety of portable breakfasts. Breakfast burrito: whole wheat tortilla with refried beans, brown rice, egg scrambled with salsa and cheese. Whole grain waffle or pancake sandwich with peanut butter and banana or apple. Whole grain toast with cheese and a vegetable omelet.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• my oldest is like that. So the rule in the house is a glass of something and a piece of fruit at least. I don't care if it's water and an apple but it's something.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2009