Age Differences

Recently, I started dating someone again from my past. I really think we are in the same spot in our lives and could be very good for each other. Everything comes very naturally with us and we are genuinely happy together.

The only thing I am having a little trouble with is our age difference. I am 24 and he is 40. I was just wondering what other people personal views are on this. Thanks!

PhiLLy-StyLe

Asked by PhiLLy-StyLe at 12:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• i think you should give it a chance.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• thats a BIG age difference. but love isnt upon the age. But then age the thought of he would be 60 when ur only 44. and 70 when ur 54. BUT, if you guys begin to fall in love and things fall into place. why not? hes prob more mature than guys your age anyways right? i say go for it. dont listen to what others think.
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Above the age of 18, I don't think it matters the age difference. Good luck. :)
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• That type of age difference is not very likely to work long term. A 40 year old man has very little in common with a 24 year old woman. You are still very young.

My husband is 41 and to him a 24 year old would feel like a baby. I think this man is interested in you mainly for physical/sexual reasons. Also, older men like younger women because they are easier to control and manipulate.

I think any time you invest in this relationship will ultimately be a waste of months/years that you'll never get back.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• happiness is more important than your age, if you are both happy with this arrangement- go for it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My husband is 10 yrs older than me and I can tell there are certain things that are age related. Such as, We got married when I was 19 and he was 29 so there are certain things like clubbing and all that, we don't do because he isn't into it. However, your 24, not 18. If you feel like it's right, then it's right. Not all older men are interested in just sex. My sister is 23 and dating a 39 year old and they are very happy and getting married in the Spring. Some relationships don't work out because of age, not all of them. I say, give it a chance and see how it goes!
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I really appreciate everyone's opinion who has answered. I know how we are together. We could be happy hanging out at a party, or be just as happy laying around at my house is sweats. And, we have been seeing eachother for 2 months now and we have not had sex . . . So I really don't think thats all he is interested in. I understand your concern though, Thrivingmom and I do appreciate your insight.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 1:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• The last guy I dated was 36 and I'm 19. It didn't not work because of our age difference. It didn't work because he was an ass.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Here's my thought process on that big of an age difference...I think in many (not all) cases the older man is immature in many ways, emotionally, etc...therefore, he will connect with a 24 year old and get along great...but guess what? YOU will grow and mature and be stuck with this man. I'm not saying this is all the time and love knows no bounds and all that, but...its something to consider.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My Fiance is 40 & I am 27. We started dating when i was 24 & he was 36. It was different for me at first. I KNEW the first time we made love what an "experienced" lover is, he was EXPERIENCED! And i was not sure i liked that. He has never been married, no kids...just traveled the world & the 7 sea's looking for...me :) but i do hate all his past flings. The generation gap can be difficult for some people. And certain things come to light here & there in the relationship. Like music....there is just some stuff he would never listen to that i grew up with. It's also weird when i think about being a child. I mean, when i was obsessed w/ the little mermaid, he was already having sex & in the Navy. So, things do come up here & there regarding the generation gap. BUT, he is my best friggen friend, & we're both head over heals & have serious respect. Getting married May 15 :)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009