My MIL is turning my hubby against me!

I'm the one that posted a couple of weeks ago about my MIL giving my stepson too much sugar and making him sick, in case anyone read that post! Well last weekend, he spent about an hour over there .. (My husbands decision. Not mine) because he didn't want me taking off work early to pick him up. Well on their way bringing him home 2 hours late btw!! My MIL called and said this. "I wanted to know if it was okay to get him a Root Beer. I know how EVERYTHING has to be cleared through you to make sure everyone is doing what YOU say.. So can I get him one? Well I was pissed but I held back everything I wanted to say. I said sure, but bring him home. He comes home with a case of root beer and 2 boxes of cookie dough. When they get in she says. "He wanted this...I didn't ask your permission for this. Hope your not mad." Well I told my husband and he doesn't believe me and is now mad that he thinks I'm lying about it! What do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Id be pissed
    Id tell him if he doesnt believe me why are we married
    Anonymous

• Oh what a you-kno-what. i want to say it. SHE sounds like the monster -n-law i have myself. HOW RUDE!?!?! dont worry I think all OR ALOT of MIL's are like this. or in-laws. how rude is THAT! we have something in common.. Hubby shouldnt b mad at you tho. i didnt see your las tpost about the sugar but im sure she gave them all kinds of sugar before coming back to your house so they would be hyper. you know she knew better to do that. she sounds like all she does is think of junk food all the time. and her saying i didnt ask your permission for this. hope your not mad. shes a jerk. thats all i have to say. I would try to really talk to hubby about it theres no reason for him to be upset at you .. What do you do? stay as far away from her as you can. I was just play it out and be nice. that will make her even more mad. uuugh
    Anonymous

• You should stop letting your son go over there. That's the only way she'll listen. And it doesn't matter what your husband thinks. If he's not going to stand with you than he's not a man.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with the other lady, don't let him go over there anymore...she has to learn that you are the mother, and if your husband can't stand up to them, things will just get worse, when you are ready to give him the ultimatum you will but at some point he has to stand up for you, or your relationship will suffer
    december911

Answer by december911 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have a similar problem. It took some time but now our son does not go to their house without us and even that time is limited. If she buys a lot of candy or junkfood for DS, I put it away or in some cases through it away if it is something he cannot have for medical reasons. Right now that is peanuts and strawberries, which I have told her repeatedly, and she keeps buying that stuff so it goes in the trash. I don't have a problem with a little candy every now and then but if it were up to her, that is all he would eat. As for the friction it's causing with your husband, he needs to back you up. You are his wife and you and your son come before mommy and daddy. He won't like hearing that but it's just true.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• What IS the big problem? I am sure glad you are not my daughter in law. you are way too picky!! Relax!
    Anonymous

• OMG, I have the same kind of problems with my MIL. I guess they are all that way. And for the one above me, she's to PICKY? What's that suppose to mean? She doesn't want her kid having sugar and junk food, as does most parents. Her MIL is disrespecting her, and not respecting her wishes and how she wants to RAISE HER SON, the MIL needs to back up and act like an adult and realize she already raised her kids. But I guess she didn't do a good job since her son is backing her and not you as his wife. I am going to tell you this, my husband went through the same thing and I basically told him it's your daughter and I, or your mother. And if you chose your mother then you can get the hell out of my house. And he woke up and stood up to his mother. It's a long story about my MIL and me. But long story short she is NO LONGER allowed around my 2 kids, and DH backs me on that. KILLER WITH KINDNESS, IT WORKS WONDERS!
    haydensmom09

Answer by haydensmom09 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• How can he deny a case of sodas and the cookie dough? I'd tell her she is paying his dental bills

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i would be mad to and just last night i posted a question about grandparents interfering with parenting. Well mainly its my mother who is interfering but after my post i realized that grandparents will be grandparents and its a grandparents job to spoil their grandchildren. I don't think you're really mad at your Mother In law, at least she asked you for permission and at least she had him brought back the food for you to say yes or no to. I honestly think youre mad at your husband for for not backing you up. But does she babysit for free? if she does then at least you get free babysitting, Although i think its important for children to know their grandparents and if you don't like how she handles your child take care of your own kid.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• That's why I live several thousand miles away from the so called "MIL" and never speak to her. Haven't seen her in over 2 years and my son will never know her, my family is back on the east coast and she's on the west coast.
    Anonymous