I found a used pack of cigs in my 17 year old daughter's purse.

She swears they belong to her friend. I don't really know what to do. I mean I mostly believe her and do not believe she smokes, then again I've been way off on other things with her so what should I do?

1hotcupcake

Asked by 1hotcupcake at 12:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• She's 17 shes isnt old enough yet however a year from now even less shes old enough. and you should talk to her and say Im not mad at you , bc im sure when u saw them u went off instead of being nice. do you or anyone in the house smoke? I would just say, "sweetie, you can tell me the truth, your almost grown now and you are old enough to choose your own lifestyle"..she shouldnt b scared to telly ou the truth shes almost grown.. and if she does, just say Well i rather you not, bc of health issues and I dearly care about you but if you strongly believe in not smoking. ask her nicely to smoke outside when she feels a urge too. DONT YELL or get angry bc she smokes, and if u smoke u really cant get mad or tell her to smoke outside if u smoke in the house. just remember you love her.
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• get over it
    Anonymous

• Most likely they are hers...Not much you can do i guess. Except discourage her from smoking, but regardless if she wants to do it and is hanging out with friends that do, she's going to do it behind your back. Do you smoke? I'm asking because most people that smoke, smoke because their parents smoke and they think it's okay. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I started smoking @ 17 but they really could be her friends. Not much you can or should do because if you freak out she will just rebel more. Just talk honestly with her about why you don't agree with smoking.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Think back when you were a teen.. would you admit to anything you knew your parents would get upset about. Fact is when your a teen you do things to fit in but also really don't want to disappoint your parents. This then starts this web of lies and pain. I'm sure you remember alot of emotions in high school. I was 17 almost 6 years ago and let me tell ya pressure pressure pressure. Best thing to do is come at her with an open mind. Try to talk about it with her without getting upset. Even tho you maybe flaming with emotion, no one can ever stop a child from doing something just guide them. And the best way to guide is with an open ear and without being judgemental. Do not come out and say she is lying, simply act as tho you are talking of her "friend". Talk to her friends risks of smoking, ask her why her friend is smoking, try to talk to her about ways that her friend can fit in without hurtingh her health.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• From a former teenager who smoked, they could either really be her friends, or they are probably her's. More than likely their her's. She is almost 18 years old, and soon you wont be able to tell her what she can and can't do. Just be honest with her, and tell her how you feel about smoking. But in the end remember that this is her choice. My mom knew I smoked, and she just told me everytime I would go for a "walk" she would say " I really don't want you smoking anymore, it stinks and its bad for your health". But I was also open and honest with my mom about everything, we have a very close relationship! I would never smoke in my parents house, I would always go for walks whenever I wanted one. I thought that it was a little more respectable this way. Maybe thats what she's doing also? If they are even her's!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I doubt they are her friends'. Teenagers don't just hold stuff like that for their friends. It doesn't happen like that. You should put a stop to it now.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009