any one having a c -section ?

What kind of medication- preset are you getting? I was told I could have general or spinal ( which is the safest)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• General is where they knock you out and you wake up and then magically you have a baby. I had a spinal but mine was emergency. I would avoid the c-section if you can. Do it vaginally if your body will let you. I hated having the c-section. My body didn't get to experience all of the stuff it should have and I didn't bond with my LO the way that I should have either, neither did my sister. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You mean general anesthia? That knocks you out and you won't know what happens to your baby. A spinal you'll be awake-mine didn't work and I felt every moment of my c section.

Why are you getting a c section?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had a csection and had a spinal - i was awake and had no problems bonding with my baby, I held him for a moment on the table before they took him to weigh and check him out and then I had him like an hour later in the recovery room. Nothing "magical" happens within that hour that encourages or prevents bonding.
    I was so glad I had a csection. I had my first 3 vaginally but they were concerned about his size because I had issues getting the other 3 out, so my 4th I had via csection. The recovery was much longer, but it was the best choice for me. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had a c-section not by choice, it was an emergency c section. I had a spinal. I believe that normally they will do the spinal, because General is riskier. Good luck in whatever you choose.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 1st c-section was an emergency and I already had an epidural in. This time I'll be having my 2nd c-section and I've been told I will be having the spinal. Though I think I will opt out of the spinal and get the epidural instead because I've had 2 epidurals in the past, know what to expect and I haven't heard many great things about spinals. I really wouldn't do general, you'll be asleep and you'll miss the birth of your baby. Unless it's totally necessary I would not be fully under like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You really need to check out childbirthconnection.org. Unless it is medically needed-your life or the babies life in danger-you shouldn't opt to have a c section. The risks are too great.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Had a C-section after three trys at inducing me and had an epidural rather than a spinal. The anesthesiologist said it was a better choice for me because of something about my spine. Talk to them, they are the ones who have to do it to do so they might have some advice. The big thing is DONT eat anything before it. I had some toast like 6 hours before and I still ended up throwing it up.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i have had 2 c-sections and both were spinals. I am having my 3rd c-section in january and i will do the spinal again. You are still awake and know what is going on!
    mommy-

Answer by mommy- at 3:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I just had my second c section 3 weeks ago and i had a spinal and everything went great, i bonded with her and remember everything. It makes you sleepy but your still very aware but cant feel anything, the spinal doesnt hurt, they numb you first. The only thing that sucked was both times i couldnt sleep in the hospital, mostly cuz i hate sleeping on my back.
    Anonymous