what does it mean when you have low amniotic fluid.. what can happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Here is a link from the American Pregnancy Association.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/lowamnioticfluidoligohydramnios.htm
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You dont have a lot of fluid for the baby to float around in. It could cause your baby to come early.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I've had low fluid with 4 of my 6 children. Two of them I had to be induced early because it was so low (about 35 wks each time). One of my daughter's had her head up against my pelvic bone & because there was no fluid to protect it, she was born with her skull severely flattened on one side. She wore a corrective helmet for a year to fix it.
    None of my children had any health problems associated with the low fluid although sometimes it can mean the baby has a kidney problem. The dr. was never able to determine why I have had this happened with most of my pregnancies.
    One of the times I was in the hospital for a few days for IV fluids. It improved the level a bit but then it declined again (but it was right around his due date so they induced me).
    All those 4 times I had no idea I had low fluid until it was revealed on an scan but after the 1st time it happened I was monitored closer the other times.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Your slowly leaking fluid and if this keeps up they will induce you. I know they don't always tell you everything, but you can ask them and make them tell you. They just don't want you to get upset. Stress can cause problems and other things. So try to relax, don't let this bother you too much. If you let it bother you, you will upset your self even more.
    I hope it goes well for you and you make it to your due date.
    My daughter was fine and decided she would come out a day before being induced.
    Myths3935

Answer by Myths3935 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Myths3935: I never leaked fluid. I just didn't have enough of it. You can have low fluid & it not be leaking.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2009