Please help me deal with this...

I am generally a content person, but for the last few weeks I've felt my hormones getting all out of wack, and suddenly I woke up today feeling like the joy of life has just been drained out of me. I can't get myself motivated to do any of my housework, can't think of a single fun thing to take my toddler to do, can't fathom spending one more minute in this house, feel like crying but I can't... I tried. What do you do when you need to beat the blues? I've tried just ignoring it but today it is especially crippling...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Call a good friend.

Take the little one out for a walk, or visit her best friend.
    Anonymous

• Check out flylady's book, Sink Reflections. She pulled herself out of a depressive situation. It is a good read and helps you through that time. Take your toddler, and get up and dressed and out of the house. The time where you don't want to do it the most is the time you need to do it the most. You can do this!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• OP - I don't have any friends. Sad, I know. That doesn't usually bother me, but it kinda hurts today.
    Anonymous

• As much as you don't want to- you have to get up and do something. As impossible as it seems, happiness is a choice and faking it a while is sometimes the best option. I've been where you are. It sucks. It does get better.

Oh, and knowing the time of year and how the sun goes away- it might be worth it to invest in some special lighting to help gets your body the sunlight it may be craving.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 1:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I exercise - sometimes intensely - to really let go of any bad feelings I have and boost those endorphins! I try not to drink or smoke cigs because I used to rely on that to solve my problems, but now only drink socially and have quit smoking.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Take a nice relaxing bath. Pour some bath salts in there. Light a candle and turn the lights off. Read a book while you're relaxing.When you get out, use lotion and put on the sexiest bra and panties you have. Do your hair, put on makeup. Then turn the radio on some fast-beat happy music. Do a little cleaning, stretching, exercising, whatever. If you wanna go out, take your LO to the park. Strike up a conversation with another mom there. If you don't wanna go out, snuggle up with your LO and watch a good movie. Cheer up! Try to think of one of your happier memories. :-)
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• When I'm like that, I indulge in a chocolate bar and soda, and get out of the house, even if it's just for a few minutes. I also have movies that I watch when I'm down, movies that bring back happy memories.

Occasionally, just going into my room, burying my face in my mattress and screaming until my throat hurts helps. (I bury my face so the neighbors don't call the cops, thinking I'm getting murdered over here, and so I don't scare the be-jeebers out of the kids!!)

debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Get out of the house :) I get like that too when I am indoors too long. Are you a mom? Have you recently gotten pregnant or given birth? You might be having normal hormone fluctuations. If not, try to get involved in a local MOPS group or library story time. Seriously, getting out with your kids can help them seem the joy in the world and jog your own excitement as well :) I'll say a prayer for you. I've been there, I know it can get better! Hang in there and keep moving. If you feel like you are slipping more, try to talk to a doctor as that could be the result of a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I just answered another question like this for someone else and I will tell you what I told her. My suggestion is that when I am feeling like things are closing in the only thing that gets me out of that mind set is to do something nice for someone else. It may sound trite, but I swear it's true for me so I just wanted to pass it along. Some things I've done the last few times is I baked cookies and delivered them as "ramdom acts of kindnes" to unsuspecting neighbors, my fave clerk at the grocery store and my mom. Another time my kids and I used 2 loaves of bread, and one whole jar each of pb and jelly and made a grocery bag full of indivudually wrapped pb&j's and gave them to the first homeless person we saw ( I know a place where they congregate) and asked him to pass them out (which we saw him doing as we drove away). Try feeling bad for long after that! Ofcourse un-food related ides work too, that's just me!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• OP - Thanks, everyone. To answer some questions that were asked,yes, I am a mom. I have a two yr old son. No recent pregnancies. I can't just go off in my own little world, as some suggested - I am taking care of a 2 yr old, and honestly just blanking out has never helped me - it makes me feel worse. I know this must be my hormones - they've been absolutely crazy lately (I just started a period after ending one less than 2 weeks ago, and my libido and moods are fluctuating like there's no tomorrow). I'm way too young for menopause - 25 - and have PCOS, so I think its just some crazy hormone-induced mood swings. It just sucks. I'm pushing through it though - I decided to just grin and do the housework that needs doing so I don't feel so overwhelmed, and maybe tonight I'll be able to relax if it all gets done.
    Anonymous