Fenugreek

A lactation consultant recommended that I take Fenugreek to increase my milk production. Has anyone else taken this, and if so, dis it work? Did you have any side effects?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• My lactation nurse said to take blessed thistle and fenugreek together and it worked for me and a friend of mine. The only side effect we noticed was that your pee smelled like maple syrup. You have to take three of each pill three times a day to get it to work.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It hasn't been proven to work. I wouldn't take it. You can increase your milk by nursing more and pumping. Some people think oatmeal helps. Oatmeal couldn't hurt.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It didn't help me any...neither did Mother's Milk tea or eating oatmeal or eating lots of fatty foods. I resorted to taking Reglin to help out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Carajust...thanks for that info...with the next one I will remember the blessed thistle.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Fenugreek did help me, and I've seen it help plenty of times. Perhaps it's psychosomatic, I don't know.

But NOTHING will work unless you're nursing and/or pumpoing frequently.

What's your symptom of low supply? Has there been a drop in dipes? That is the ONLY hting that is a true indication, nothing else.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have friends who swear by it; I had great success with brewers yeast tablets.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• fenugreek is an herb. you can cook with it too. fennel is said to help, so shred some on your salads. mother's milk tea has fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel seed and all sorts of stuff.

Are you drinking enough water? Drink, pump, nurse, repeat.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• "What's your symptom of low supply? Has there been a drop in dipes? That is the ONLY hting that is a true indication, nothing else."

My son won't latch on and never has. He was in the NICU for the first week of his life and they ruined it w/ the bottles. I've seen multiple lactation consultants and everything and it hasn't helped. I do, however pump often, but it'll take me an hour to get a bottle sometimes. That's how I know I have a low milk supply. Obviously there are other ways to tell than fewer wet diapers, lol.

StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009