I am 40 years old, haven't worked in over a decade.

I have a 4 year degree with no skills and no experience where do I start in my job search?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• What's your degree in? That's where you start, with the industries that are looking for your degree.

Contact your school; job placement services are part of the alumni services.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My Mom is in the same boat. I suggested to her to start volunteering her services to build skills, or enroll in a "Continuing Adult Education" class at a local community college. In our area, those courses range from $25 and up. They're great to brush up or learn computer skills. Most organizations won't say no to volunteers, and you can explore different areas of the business to build your experience. I know Habitat for Humanities has a wide range of volunteer positions.

Try selling yourself in your cover letter when you apply to different jobs. Highlight some of the things you have accomplished during your hiatus from the employment world, like helping with school organizations or church functions, etc. .... something that will show your dedication and commitment.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• A Temp agency.

Anonymous

• SAHMs have many skills that employers value: logistics, time management, budgeting, etc.

Do you have a Linkedin profile? You need to updater or create one.

Are your Microsoft office skills upto date? If not, you can take classes at a community college.

You need to start networking; begin with a professional association linked to your college degree / former career.

You can find great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms 

Answer by rkoloms at 1:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• rkoloms, I completed a class on computer skills. It included windows. word, excel and access

Linkedin? Could you give me more information on this?
    Anonymous

• You start by not believing the lie you just wrote about yourself! If you didn't have any skils or experience, you'd be dead - not here. Get a paper and pencil and write a resume. Start with your objective. What do you want to do or, what would you like to do if there were not obstacles to doing it. Go from there. Get a book or better, a counselor from a community college, to help with with resume writing and stradegies for job hunting.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents

Scentsy is an awesome company to work with!! Let me know if I can help with any questions.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 4:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• What do you like? How much do you want to make$ ? Do you have any ideas about what you are lookin for? Start there!! ( : It took me a while to find a new job when I moved so I started to work at homw and started my own Business......AVON!!! ( : I enjoy it and it is rewarding and fun for me....if you are interesed I would love to help u get started!! ( : Good Luck!!

( :
    amy_sue02

Answer by amy_sue02 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2009