my shepard/husky mix is afraid of water and will not let me bathe him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Shayla is that way- she was a rescue, and i know why she is afraid, but she HAS to have a bath.

good rule of thumb, if you're calm, they will be. you can also give 1 dramamine tablet per 45 lbs of dog (got that little trick from the vet), about 45 min before the bath and it'll help keep them calm.

to this day, i am the only person that shay will let bathe her, but she has conquered her fear of the hose. when its bath time, i do not talk to her, or respond to her negative behavior, i just present myself as calm and show her i have no ill intent, and she is calm. my mum tried to bathe her once, and was hysterical through the whole thing. they feed off of our negative/positive energy, so, set a calm positive tone.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Tie him up and do it, after a few baths he will surrender.

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My Abby was like that---We fought for a long time...then one day it clicked that she was getting a bath either way...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We had a basset that was afraid of baths and it ended up being worth it to me to budget it so that she went to the groomer once every couple months. I grew my hair out and DH trimmed it instead of me going and paying for a hair cut instead and that was enough savings to have her done.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009