How can I feed a family of 3 with $50 a week?

I will know by Friday if I was approved for a loan that will loosen things up around here, and give me an extra $250 or so to spend every month (which means we'll eat better lol). But in case we're NOT approved for this loan, I need some tips on feeding a mommy, a daddy and a 17 month old baby for $50 a week or less. I don't want to sacrifice nutrition. I spend probably $25 a week on produce alone right now, but obviously we need to cut WAAAYYYY back.

Any tips?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sales and coupons are your friend. Find out what time the butcher marks down the meat that needs to be used or frozen by the next day, I find meat that way that is up to 50% off. Be ready to write your menu for the week once you know what the meat situation looks like. Buy snacks that will go far. I invested in an air popper for popcorn and it payed for itself in the first month because it is way cheaper to throw some salt and butter on that than buy microwave popcorn. Eat meatless twice a week or so. Skip the baby carrots and buy whole carrots you have to peel. Buy anything you use a lot of in bulk. Buy chickens whole and cut them up yourself. Leave the skins on the potatos when you use them, and its a vegetable.

I spend about $60 a week, I watch the ads, ONLY buy on sale. Some weeks I buy a lot of meat and bag it into smaller sections and freeze it, then the next week stock up on canned/dry goods. GL
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• UM... i would get cheaper things that are healthy. LIKE for instance,, cabbage u can make one head of cabbage for like a couple of dollars. for a whole dinner and make some meat with it get a small and inexpensive thing of corn beef to go with it. things like that thats a whole meal which you and hubby might be able to eat the next night for leftovers. and the next night make small thing of meatloaf all you need is a small thing of ground beef and ketchup GL
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Frozen veggies/fruit are cheaper than fresh, and last longer! Plus they don't contain extra sodium/sugars like canned veggies/fruit.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You can feed a family of 4 for a week for $30.00 with Angel Food...

www.angelfoodministries.com

check it out... you get good $60.00 - $70.00 worth of meat, fresh & frozen fruit & veggies eggs and a variety of other good food for only $30.00!

Anonymous

• buy things like a whole chicken instead of chicken breasts. I pay $4 something for a whole chicken instead of $6 for a couple pounds of chicken and get over two meals out of it with leftovers for lunch.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with auroura sales ads are your friends, I KNOW walmart (other stores may, but i know walmart will), will match same brand, same price, also watch for double coupon days/weeks, ALWAYS cruise the sale ads before you go anywhere. Dollar Tree is also good for some stuff. As is off brand soda (if you drink soda). Also MOST stuff is JUST as good generic/store brand (if not you can add some spices). Also if someone you know has a deep freeze you can stock up on meat on sale (and other frozen stuff).
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2009