How do you get a reluctant reader to love reading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in

• You can get all types of books these days and I think your best chance is to focus on a child's interests and just get books of that type, maybe it will start a passion for reading off. I've been trying to convince my second eldest to read since she was a baby but it's just never worked. However she's been through her phases. I say just try out lots of different types of books and see if there's one they like.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 1:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Reading is that good for kids. It's solitary, it's seditary, and many books kids read have horrible content.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• OMG Gailll, that's the stupidest thing I have ever seen anyone post. And I'm not just talking about your sentiment. You could obviously benefit from more reading.
    Anonymous

• Start making regular trips to the library; let your child pick books.

Posting book reviews on Amazon helped my child’s writing skills; perhaps it will help get your child interested in reading

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think it's a hard road to get someone to love reading. I was 13 when I fell in love with books otherwise I hated to sit there and read I wanted to run and climb trees. One day my aunt gave me a book and I fell in love with reading books after that my reading level went up to above average. I suggest looking at books and reading the backs and see if they peek interest in you, because he might think they sound and look good, but still might end up not liking them. I found a book last year for my nephew that sounded like a good read and since than he has found love in reading too. He also hated to read. Otherwise its a challenge and not everyone is a book lover.
    Myths3935

Answer by Myths3935 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Just go and check out a bunch of different types of books from the library. Read through them with your child, and figure out what kind they like best. After that, the librarian should be able to steer you towards other, similar books.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I take trips to the library and I also check out books. If I get excited about it, they seem to also. I know they'd rather be playing video games or watching TV, but during the school week there are no video games, so they read. One of my sons said reading is like having a movie in your mind. They seem more interested in reading also if they can read to me. So before bed I let each of them read me stories.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 7:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009