What about States Rights?

I saw an article about the push for legalization in Cali gaining ground and looks like there will be something on the Nov ballot.

The part of the article that bothered me was the Feds stance:

But federal authorities have also made it clear that their tolerance stops at recreational use. In a memorandum on Oct. 19 outlining the medical marijuana guidelines, Deputy Attorney General David W. Ogden said marijuana was “a dangerous drug, and the illegal distribution and sale of marijuana is a serious crime,” adding that “no state can authorize violations of federal law.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/us/28pot.html?_r=1

What right does the Fed have to come in and bust people on something that the people of the states voted for? This is not hurting anyones civil rights and would only be for adults

Friday

Asked by Friday at 1:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope there is something on the ballot. I think the rest of the states will follow suit if CA legalizes and once a majority of the states legalize what is the fed gov't really going to do? They will have no choice but to legalize federally. GO CA!!!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• What right does the Fed have to come in and bust people on something that the people of the states voted for?

Thank John Marshall for giving the fed infinite power by making it possible to squeeze everything from a bank transaction to a garage sale into interstate commerce if they so choose.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It would be good as Medical Marijuana but I don't think its good as a receational drug. Not good for the brain cells, can harm fertility in men,. give you fried lung tissue,etc. Uh uh. Not good. There has to be a safer way to relax and mellow out if that is what you really need. @@
    Anonymous

• "What is the fed gov't really going to do?"
    The same thing that they have been doing. Bringing the DEA into our homes and neighborhoods and reeking havoc on our lives. Its crap, we aren't hurting anyone. Thank god they have to leave our medical patients AND suppliers alone now. That is a huge step in the right direction.

I am 100% convinced that my state will pass the medical marijuana ballot next Nov....as far as recreational usage, I see that coming in the next 5 years.

SIDE NOTE:
    When I say "we" I mean we as in my community. Where I come from, pot is a way of life. It provides seasonal jobs for a lot of people when they need it most (when it is time to trim). Most everyone in my area smokes, and if they don't now then they have in the past. You can't get away from it here, and we like it that way.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree Friday. If the people of the state vote for it. The Feds need to stay out.
    I think MORE things in this nation should be up to the states WITHOUT Federal Government intervention. Education, Policing ('hate' crimes), Health Care, Voluntering inititiatives, etc... The Federal Government wants ALL states to be the same by the "Federal Government's" standards. Which is exactly what our founders wanted to avoid. To much control from a Nanny Federal Government is a bad thing!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You don't have to SMOKE marijuana. You can take it as a pill or eat pot brownies or whatever, so it doesn't necessarily have to harm your lungs. People use it recreationally already anyway. Marijuana is much safer than cigarettes and alcohol and probably safer than caffeine or energy drinks! There is no reason it should still be illegal.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 2:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think that marijuana legalization would help our country in many respects. It would bring money legally into the country, provide health benefits for people who have no other recourse, save money on the prosecution of minor drug trafficking and jail terms. I have a friend who has cancer and the medications just cause her more pain. I know that if she was prescribed medicinal marijuana she could be comfortable. It is so much safer than drugging on morphine or chemical substitutes. California has always been a leader in progressive thinking. I would love to see other states (and the federal govt.) follow suit. Marijuana has so many health benefits for health problems that seemingly are unhelpable. Marjiuana is a natural substance that has been used for centuries as a health remedy. I think there should be an age requirement (like voting, enlistment in armed services, etc.)
    barbaraprose

Answer by barbaraprose at 2:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Anon 11:01 besides the fact that your statements are questionable, that is not what this question is about.

What right do the Feds have to come in and trump state law when the people vote on something and it's not a civil rights issue? Don't they have more important things to do than bust stoners, like keep track of terrorists or something?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes they do! And hopefully if CA legalizes Obama will continue to leave the states alone like he did with medical marijuana. Time will tell... But if the fed gov't intervenes then I think there will be a big uprising.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 2:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Haven't you all realized yet~You guys really can't have it both ways. Either you want the Nanny Federal Government to step in, or you want the states to be left alone to GOVERN their states as they see fit. With every Bill, the Federal Government takes more control. Many of you SUPPORT the Federal crap. Cap and Trade, Health Care, Bank Control, Resale goods/commerce, etc... When what YOU should be doing is telling your Senators and Congress to STOP taking control. Then you should be working as HARD as you can in your local and state governments to build a BETTER state. But you can't have it BOTH ways. You cannot build a better state when you (and your state) are too busy on relying on the Federal Government.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009