Have you had H1N1 (Swine Flu)?

If so, or if you know someone that did, how was it?
What were the symptoms?
How long were they/you sick?
Did you get vaccinated?
How old were you/they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• Yes, it was awful, I had a high fever, body aches, chills, sniffly, cough and basic ukkyness. About 2 weeks total, but only down for 3 days. No vaccine-wasn't available yet. I had it last summer in July. I am 33, and will not be getting the vaccine.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have not had it but know many that have had it here lately. They range from ages 4-40.
    Each person was different as far as the illness, some were sick for days and some were sick for 2 weeks. None of them have been vaccianted and from what I know none of them will be. It is now flu season, if 35,000 people die every year from the flu then why such panic over H1N1? The media plays a large part in making people paranoid.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son might have it. The pedi doesn't bother testing for it. The flu is the flu. The treatment is the same for the swine flu and the regular flu. I knew something was wrong when he woke up one day with a 102.5º fever and didn't want to do anything and wouldn't eat. Took him to the doctor and he tested positive for the flu. We figured that is what it was since hubby and I both had classmates with kids with the flu or swine flu and that is how they started out. He's on meds and feeling better and it's only been 2 days. He never gets the flu vaccine either. Oh and he's 3.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My three kids had it, my sister had it, my husband had it, my neighbors had it. They all were sick before the vaccinations came out. They are still recovering. They were acutely ill for 8 or 9 days then they are just exhausted for several weeks. My hubby is just tired and so are my friends and family that had it. Ages ranged from 4-43 with the worst being my son who is 14.
    Anonymous

• My sister (22) got it back in the spring when it first started. She has a compromised immune system bc she had her spleen removed when she was very young. It was 4 miserable days. She is a med student. No one is my family is getting the vaccine.

My brother (19) experienced some respiratory distress bc he was around her when she was sick. He's probably the most unhealthy person I know as far as eating junk food and having poor hygiene. He had a cough that lasted about 3 weeks.

The info my sister is getting as a med student is more relaxed than the info we are getting as lay people. Since she is doing rotations in the hospital, the school recommended that she get the regular seasonal flu vac. They are more concerned about hand washing and not coughing all over each other.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• 2 kids (7, 9) and me (37) all had it. my two kids got tested and it was confirmed as h1n1. They were ill for 4 days total. Day 2 and 3 were the worst with the high fever (103), but by day 4 both were fever free and playing again. The cough lasts a couple weeks. For me it was a little worse as i was alread ill with a bad head cold/sinuses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2009