need my son out of my room

my 2 1/2 year old boy have his own room with TV, toys and everything but he hates to sleep there. He will take his nap there and if is almost time to sleep he will start watching a movie and sleep there but is not always and also if he stays in his room in the middle of the night he will go to my room, what can i do for him to stay there!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be consistent, find something that will work to keep him in, like a baby gate in front of the door way. A night light, something and stick with not letting him in your room!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Put up a baby gate in the doorway.

I know it's not part of your question, but why on Earth do you have a tv in a 2 year olds room?
    Anonymous

• so he can watch his movie!? he dont see cartoons just the movie CARS sometimes!! ? you dont have a tv in ur kids room?
    Anonymous

• i'm just answering based on what i'd have to do with my son, which is go about it the "cold turkey" way. just put him in his room and put a baby gate up or some other manner of keeping him in his room. once he realizes, "okay, this is where i have to sleep," then things will get better. make sure his room is safe, comfortable, and he's not scared. put in a nightlight, secure anything he might climb or play with, etc.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 3:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Tell him that his room is where he sleeps and your room is where you sleep. You might need to stay in there with him for a little while at first, but make sure he understands that he sleeps in his room by himself so that you don't end up sleeping in there with him :) A night light is good so that he doesn't wake up in the pitch dark. Let him have a special blanket and stuffed animal. Make sure to have a bedtime routine that is consistent. And yes, get rid of the tv. There are a couple of problems with having a tv in the bedroom - - one applies to adults too and that is that falling asleep to the tv makes it difficult for us to get into the deeper stages of sleep that help us to feel rested. With toddlers, and some adults too, it goes even further and is actually a distraction that keeps them from falling asleep.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009