Do names like Christian or Pagan bug anyone else?

I know TONS of guys named Christian. And have recently met a number of moms with kids named Pagan. I guess my issue is that if they don't grow up to be their namesake it's just gonna look funny. I mean a good Christian girl named Pagan, just doesn't fit! You know...

I mean names like Jesus, Christ (yes, I know a guy named Christ), or even Zeus have always bugged me. I even know a guy named Jesus Zeus... But it's one thing to name your kid after a god or demi-god a complete other to name them after a religion as a whole...

And then it makes me wonder if this opens the door for people to name thier kids Buddhist or Jew and really set those poor kids up for some nasty comments...

I can't be the only one this gets to, am I??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christian doesnt bother me cause i never think of it like the religion (although im sure thats y they are named that) but it is so common I just think of it as a name. I dont like the name Pagan...to me that is just weird, but so are names like Tuesday.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my nephews name is Christian, his parents gave him that name because it was nice, no other reason.
    Anonymous

• I've never met a caucasian or AA named Jesus, so I always figured it's a cultural thing more common with Hispanics. I've known plenty of Christians, but the majority went by Chris.

It doesn't bug me. Personally I would avoid naming a kid after a minority faith he'll likely get picked on for, especially living in the Bible belt.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I named my daughter Diana, after an Aunt, a Princess, and a Goddess

People name their kids all kinds of crazy names.  Nothing we can do about it.  But once the child becomes a legal adult...if s/he so chooses, s/he can go to the courthouse and have it changed. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I like them. I think Christian has been completely accepted as just a name, in fact I know a Pagan who named her son Christian. I think Pagan is a cut name too, but I have been told I have strange taste in names. I don't think there is anything sacrilegious about using those names or that it suggests anything about their religious leanings.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I've never run into anyone named Pagan. I know plenty of guys named Christian... most went by Chris. It doesn't really irk me in any particular way, though I'm personally glad that my name doesn't have any religious significance simply because I'm not the same religion as my mom and dad.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have an issue with KREYAQTEV names in general (the q is silent). Names like Christian and Jesus don't bother me, but I do have issues with people who name their kids after deities with no idea who or what the deity is (like naming your kid Odin because it sounds cool). That (like most of the other obnoxious respellings/unusually names) is saddling your kid with a lot of baggage they don't need to be stuck with. It's different if you are raising the kid in the faith, so when asked they can say who they are named after. Not so cute when all they know is you saw the name in a video game and thought it was cool.

And on a related note...Neveah is not "heaven spelled backwards" unless you're dyslexic, so stop already.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I <3 NP!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• NP, you have weird obsessions with some very small things.

OP, no it doesn't bother me. I have no problem with a parent acting on their right to name their child what they want. I don't judge people or get bugged by it. (*_*)
    Anonymous

• I <3 NP!

Of course you do - I'm sure they sent you home with some awesome drugs :p
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009