Am I selfish

I'm a single mother of a two year old. I'm work full time, in school (online) and I have an extra activity (Something I participate in for two and a half hours once a week) and every now and then they'll have something on the weekends (for like two maybe three hours) Other than that I'm with my son everyday. My question is am I selfish for having this activity. Am I putting my son second and not first? I'm just so frustrated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess I need to know what the activity is before I can give an honest answer....and who watches your child while you are away all this time?
    Anonymous

• Why are you frustrated for having something to do ONE night out of the week WTH!?!?!?!? Then add your kid an activity to do during the week.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes I agree w/anon, what kind of activity is it and where is your child. It depends... if he is w/his dad etc etcc. More details please.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If you're able to do something for yourself that you enjoy one night a week I say do it without feeling guilty. As long as you aren't out partying every night or away from your son more than you are with him I don't see the problem.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i don't think so its only a few hours a week. Being a single parent you have to make sure to take care of yourself first so you can take care of your son...this includes son down time.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i agree with anon 311...depends on what you are doing and who you leave your son with to give a complete honest answer---

But just in general. I would say no you are not selfish as long as your son gets his own mommy time and you arent running from place to place dragging him along for the ride :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It's choir rehearsal. My mother and father watch him while I'm at rehearsal. My mother said I was selfish. And throughout the week I'm with my son. Playing with him, potty training, all of the mommy duties
    Petiteladie

Answer by Petiteladie at 3:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with PP. Depends on the activity. However, you're not JUST a mother, you are a woman too. We tend to forget that when we have kids. It's not selfish to have an "activity" away from your child. Unless, of course, its something illegal, or something you'd be ashamed of.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No your not selfish! Selfish would be your doing it every night, or you care more about going to this activity then about your child, which apparently is not the case. Everyone needs sometime to themselves, wether there parents or not. So an activity every once in a while is no big deal, at least thats my opinion.
    Ad3n_M0mmy01

Answer by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with Ad3n. Your choir practice also gives you an opportunity to meet and engage in adult conversation outside work and school

it sounds like your a great mom
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009