My daughter is 8 yrs old and she wets the bed every nite.I took her to a specialist and he told me not to worry bout it ?does anyone have any suggestions.

MissCNA912

Asked by MissCNA912 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• shes8 years old and said dont worry? this isnt even ok for a 4 year old to do it. i mean thats weird that a specialist is telling you this.. Well i would like to help. i would say make sure she uses the restroom twice before bed. yes twice. try this and see if it gets any better. this may sounds WRONG. i know she has school and everything but wake her up EVER 2-3 hours during the night and make her go pee. like if she goes to bed at 9 wake her up at 12 make her go, again at 3 and then when she wakes up for school. its only twice u may have to make her wake up but she needs to get out of the habbit. and im sure its hard on you also having to keep washing sheets. she shouldnt be punished its prob just a stage. but try this for me mama. and let me know if it works. keep doing it until she doesnt have anymore accidents GL
    Anonymous

• Also make sure not to give her any liquids at least an hour before bed maybe two hours....if your not already doing it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my friend wet the bed untill she was about 9 or 10 and then just stopped. So it may just be something that she needs a little longer to grow out of.
    tntmom1027

• my dd used to wet the bed all the time. She finally grew out of it but it was frustrating for both of us and i felt so bad for her. I would wake her 3 hrs after she went to bed and take her to the bathroom. She was always sound asleep so I would have to tell her to pee and i would have to wipe her...she would sleep the whole time. This solved our problem of a wet bed. I got used to it and she would go to bed at 8 so i was usually still up at 11. She was such a sound sleeper i think she just couldnt wake up when she felt her bladder.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal to wet the bed until this age. Just give her time. Buy her pull ups and just leave her be.
    My son wet the bed every night until just before he turned 7 and decided on his own to make an effort to not drink before bed and all that. He's 8 now and still wets the bed occasionally but hasn't worn pull-ups to bed in over a year.
    My middle daughter is about to turn 7 and still wets the bed everything.
    I don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world and our doctor won't even evaluate them for anything until they are 9 because she says it's very normal until that age and beyond.
    I know for my kids it's because they are very deep sleepers. Once they are out they are out and wake for nothing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my daughter didnt pee her bed from the time she was 2.5...and then when she was around 4.5 she started..shes 5 now..but since she started this well at first i took her to the dr, cuz it just wasnt normal, but he said nothing was wrong with her, (they did a few tests) so now i just wake her up around 1130-12, make her pee and she goes right back to sleep. we eat dinner at 5, so she doesnt get anything to drink after 530, she pees before her shower, and again before bed..but yaa, this is what works for us!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Some kids are heavy sleepers and don't feel the urge to urinate and wake up until a bit older. Some kids don't get the message from their brains and bladders until a bit older.

In the meantime, do not scold or punish her. Try to limit drinks 2 hours before bed. Get her some kind of Underjams, Pull Ups, Goodnights, etc, so that her bed, sheets, and mattress are not soiled.  You might also consider a rubber sheet.

Anonymous

• If she's a deep sleeper, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't want to freak you out, but I wet the bed from 6-10 almost every night because I was being sexually molested and didn't know how to tell my parents because the family member that was doing it said that he was going to kill me. It may be something to consider.
    Anonymous

• Something the prior posters havent mentioned yet is that a symptom of ADD or ADHD is bed wetting. Its more often with boys, but happens to girls too.
    Is this just now happening, but she didnt have a problem before? If so, it could be that something is stressing her out. If she is physically or mentally exhausted, or is having vivid (almost real) dreams, this may cause her to not wake up when she pees until its too late.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My dd also wet the bed at 8. She finally stopped before turning 9. We just bought pull ups for her. She is a very, very heavy sleeper. Yours will grow out of it, eventually.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009