Questions for those that don't celebrate Halloween.

Not looking for a debate. We do not celebrate Halloween, but every year I find myself almost giving into the temptation.
It is everywhere. We are surrounded by the spiderwebs, pumpkins, candy, costumes.
How do you avoid the temptation to just give in because it has become a commercial holiday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• By participating in my church's Fall Festival. The entire week leading up to Halloween is also Revival time at our church, so we are kept busy with that. The actual festival is held on Halloween Day at the church and is a lot of fun for the kids....they get a lot of candy there and they have a great time with the hay rides and games and such.
    Anonymous

• Some people don't celebrate Halloween due to religious convictions- that alone is enough to eliminate temptation.

Anonymous

• It's easy for me - IMO all Halloween is, is kids dressing up (or being dressed up) and begging for candy (or parents begging via babies not old enough to know better!). I don't let my kids eat much candy because there's a history of diabetes in hubby's side of the family. Plus we don't have a lot of money to spare. No money to spare = easy to not buy costumes, keeping candy from my kids = not hard to just stay home or find something better to do.
    Anonymous

• i do not celebrate halloween--and i understand with seeing it everywhere--my sons school even has a party--i am just lucky because my son does not like halloween either---we just kind of make it as another day--and my son and i look at it as a day to something for us-it is hard, but we just try to avoid looking, and or talking about that stuff
    Anonymous

• It is hard especially when I have zero support from my family, but this will be my 6 yr of not celebrating. I try to go somewhere else Or I stay at home pass out candy to kids, along with a pamphlet on GODs love. I take my kids to fall fest or other church events so they don't feel left out. Its harder around christmas because I don't do the santa thing & my family tries to push it on us.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My mother used to tell me when I was a kid and was getting ready to go somewhere , " Just remember whatever your doing to ask yourself if Jesus came back right now would you want him to see you doing that." IMO I don't think that taking my child Trick or Treating is ungodly. I would rather have Jesus come back and see me doing that instead of the many things I have done in my past. I also know that of all the sins I have commited in my life not a single one can be traced back to celebrating Halloween.
    coffeemama1776

Answer by coffeemama1776 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009