I dont understand the "text" typing..

What does DH or DD mean? Everyone keeps posting this and not spelling it all out. I dont understand is it that hard to just spell everything out?

emmaleib

Asked by emmaleib at 3:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in About CafeMom

• h ai get confused too. I looked DH up,. it means Dear Husband
    Anonymous

• http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229183637AAwns3h
    Anonymous

• Dear Husband
    Dear Son
    Dear Daughter
    Mother In Law
    Dear Fiance
    Significant Other
    Little One

Answer by Bmat at 3:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• For the Answer section where space is limited- only a certain number of characters are allowed in an answer- it is sometimes better to just write an abbreviation rather than take up space in the answer by typing out Significant Other for example- It takes only two characters to write SO.

Answer by Bmat at 3:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I don't know what someone would say "darling/dear/dumbass husband" I think its just pure laziness. I understand significant other being SO (applying to women who don't have a husband necessarily but just anyone they are partners with), but please....your messages aren't that long, the short ones are the one's with "dh" just type out hubby!
    Anonymous

• I didn't get the abbreviations either when I first came here but CafeMom (CM) has a whole section about the abbreviations. Everyone uses them and once you learn them (took me about 10 seconds) it's a lot easier and give you more room to write when you are asking or answering a question.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• To a certain degree it IS laziness. But..I know I personally have gone over the limit many times.

Once you know the code, it's absolutely no different than writing "Mr." for "Mister" or "Ave." for "avenue."

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It's not just on cafemom that they use those abbreviations. They are standard all over the internet. I learned them 9 years ago when I first started posting on AOL message boards when my oldest was a baby. I usually type out husband and daughter but will use dh or dd sometimes, like in the answers section where there is a character limit. I don't use ds because it's just as easy to write son.
    You get used to them after awhile and don't even realize you are using them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Well, I now what they are know i just find it amusing that no one wants to spend the time typing it out. And if it really "fills up" the comment, make two comments. Its getting ridiculous that no one spells anything out anymore, on the computer or through texting.
    emmaleib

Answer by emmaleib at 8:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2009