• In the Spotlight:

How soon is it safe to get pregnant after having a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My OB suggests waiting atleast 1 year after giving birth before getting pregnant again so that your body has a chance to fully "heal" from your prior pregnancy and delivery. It depends on how your pregnancy went too though-If you had a difficult pregnancy they may suggest waiting a little longer. Ask your Dr. for their opinion if you want to know exactly how long is good for you...
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster, but to add that if you had a c-section prior my Dr. told me to wait at least 18 months before trying to get pregnant again.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had a c-section and got pregnant 10 months later. I had that c-section and got pregnant 10 months after that one. I'm in my 30's and doing just fine.

If you had a c-section you really need to wait as close to a year before getting pregnant as possible. But, I have usually heard after a normal vaginal delivery that 6 months is ok. Of course I've known many moms who got pregnant less than 3 months after delivering their last baby and they are doing just fine.

I tend to agree with the old standard of 1 year after a c-section and 6 months after a normal vaginal delivery (if there were no complications or severe tearing).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It depends on your age/health and how you delivered. In general most docs say 6-12 months after a normal vaginal delivery and 12-18 after a c-section. Personally I think 2-3 years between kids is ideal and how nature intends it to be. If you nurse exclusively then you usually cannot get pregnant any earlier then 13 months or so making the kids about 2 years apart.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My doctor told me 3 mo. He knew we wanted another & he gave me a 3 mo script for BC pills & said after they ran out if I wanted more to call but if not then it was fine to try again for a new baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2009