how to get your baby on a schedule?

taylorsmommy13

Asked by taylorsmommy13 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm really not big on schedules. My daughter is 10 weeks old and I stay home so I really see no need to have her on any sort of schedule. When she's tired, she sleeps, when she's hungry I feed her. When she's awake, we play, I read to her, ect. Maybe when she's a bit older, but for now, we go with the flow.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm the same as Christina. I have a 3 month old and the only "schedule" we have is everyday he needs a nap, doesn't matter what time, he just needs one, and he eats when he's hungry, sleeps when he's tired, but does go to bed around 8-9pm every night. I have no idea how that happened but he's been doing it for a month straight! I think schedules are more important when they kids get a little older. When they are infants its usually on demand.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Heh heh...it's sorta like herding cats.

Maintain a routine of what you do and approximately when you do them. But expect that you will need to be flexble and that baby will NOT sleep when you want her to. That's a corollary of Murphy's Law, y'know.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I found with both of my kids that their "schedule" was actually more of a daily routine rather than set times that things had to happen at, and their routines kind of emerged as they got older. For example, by 6 months I had learned that about an hour after they woke up they needed a nap, and another nap 2-3 hours after waking up from the first one. I wasn't saying "it's 9 am and you need to lay down now" but it did make it easy to know approximately when they would be tired so that I could make plans.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Depends on the age of the baby. You can't get a baby under 6 months on a schedule. Moms that have babies under 6 months on a schedule just got lucky and that's just their baby's natural body rhythms. At 6 months, a baby's brain begins to develop so that they can start to regulate their sleep and develop a pattern to their sleep and feedings.

I think a great book about gently guiding a baby onto a schedule is "The No Cry Sleep Solution."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• You could read Babywise...can't remember the author right now. Anyway, some friends of mine did very well with that method even though it did not work with my son.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 5:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• "You could read Babywise...can't remember the author right now. Anyway, some friends of mine did very well with that method even though it did not work with my son."

Caveat Mama on Babywise. The methods are linked to failure to thrive. THe American Academy of Pediatrics warns AGAINST this method.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with the above posts that 2-3 month olds aren't really on a schedule... I think a better goal is to have a routine... part of that routine can be a schedule, but with the understanding that A) the schedule is based on their natural patterns; and B) you are prepared to modify the schedule every few weeks or so, because habits do change. I'm big on schedules, because my first daughter totally thrived on them. When my little one was 4-5 months old, she took 3 naps, and always seemed tired after about 1 1/2, so we fell into a pattern. Then, even if she didn't look or seem tired, I'd still try to put her down at her regular time, and keep the naptime routine consistent, and sure enough, she'd go right to sleep. Then by about 7 months she naturally moved us into 2 naps a day, then by 11 months, just one nap. I always nursed on demand, though.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Hi my daughter is nearly 5 months old and our health visitors advice here is that they should start getting into a routine about this time so you have a litle while yet. most babies do get themselves into a routine really and if you are a stay at home mum that shouldnt be difficult.
    my daughter wakes up at 7:30-8:00 and has her breaskfast then has a little play till about 9:30-10:00 then goes back to sleep till around 12:00 then has lunch and a play and goes back to sleep around 1:20-2:00 ish then wakes and has her dinner at 3:30-4:00ish and plays for a few hours and has some milk and goes to bed at around 6:30-7:30. but if she has an extra hours sleep in the morning it always affects the rest of the day so she ends up an hour extra before goin to bed and you do that by waking themat what time you want them up in the morning and perserveering with it untll it sticks which is suprising how lttle time it takes to get used to it
    summersmummy09

Answer by summersmummy09 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009