Is anyone REALLY offended by the phrase "Merry Christmas?"

I was listening to someone rant today about how everyone is suddenly afraid to say "Merry Christmas" for the fear of not being politically correct. I'm a pretty secular person with non-specific spiritual beliefs and I'm not the least offended if someone wishes me a merry Christmas. I wouldn't be offended if they wished me a "Happy Yule," either. I think the whole Happy Holidays thing was started by the retailers who wanted to be sure to include all winter holiday revelers in their winter sales. As for regular people though, I have yet to meet one actual person who is really offended if someone wishes them a "Merry Christmas," which means people who are offended by the people who are offended by the phrase are getting their panties in a wad over nothing.

How about you? Are you offended by being wished a "Merry Christmas?" Do you know anyone who actually is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, I'm not offended by Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Yule, Merry Kwanzaa or any other holiday greeting and I don't expect anyone else to be either. Actually, now that I think of it....the only greeting that has ever offended me was last Halloween when TrickOrTreaters would say "Happy Pumpkin Day" at the door. I'm Christian and it really irked me that everyone is so easily offended nowadays and so worried about being politically correct that the schools are teaching the kids that something is wrong with saying the currently benevolent "Trick or Treat"......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm not offended by any greetings people give. I just say the same thing back that they say.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• People get offended about everything and anything on here. I would just ignore it. I hate christmas, I am like the grinch bah humbug! That being said I do not take offense when anyone says it either.
    Anonymous

• wreath

I have to say no

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No it does not bother me ... I will greet them back the same way usually...
    But I have been in a crowd of people that agruements started bc of greetings....
    Usually if I am uncertain I will just say Happy Holidays...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Nope. Don't know anyone who is. Though oddly enough there seem to be quite a few people who say they aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas, and at the same time send that horrible chain email every year about the EID stamp.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Not at all.

I t try not to assume what others' beliefs are,and since I'm a non-believer I use Happy Holidays most of the time. It's a personal preference, not something I'd force on anybody else.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• nope.

the only time i remember anyone going off on someone saying "Merry Christmas" was justified. a Christian friend said it to a Jewish friend spitefully...and yes the Christian friend knew she was Jewish. it was one of those "breaking point" things.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Nope. Only bugs me when it's said to me in a condescending way (like if someone knows I'm not Christian & they're trying to make a point) or if they throw in a bunch of religious extras on top of it. Even then, I'm not "offended", just annoyed.

Funny you should ask, though. I had a discussion with a friend over who gets offended by what once. It was December & we went out shopping together. She told me I'd see what she meant.. and boy, did I ever! LOL Every time someone would say Merry Christmas to her, she'd reply with Thank you - Happy Yule. She got the UGLIEST looks from people and they would repeat in a very snotty tone "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Happened 10 times out of 10.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009