Dairy??

Can you have too much dairy when you are pregnant? I have always been very over weight when I was pregnant and this time I'm not and I don't plan on getting that way. With my 1st baby I craved whole milk all the time and I gained 98 lbs!!! I had a boy that time and then I had two girls and never had that problem. This time I am 19.2 weeks along and the milk cravings have started. I don't know what I am having yet but I am hoping for another boy, but I was wondering if drinking as much milk as I did caused me to gain so much or if this is okay? It can't be like 2% milk or anything, it had to be whole milk...lol

Gigi76825

Asked by Gigi76825 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well then thats the problem. milk HAS to be 25% of course ur going to add on lbs with all Vitamin D or whole milk. too much
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Dairy is a big cause of weight gain, unfortunately.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Adults really don't need whole milk. It's too fatty for us and that is what led to your huge weight gain. 2% would be a much better choice.

If you have a Braum's in your area, buy 2% there. Braum's milk is so good that their 2% tastes better than any brand of whole milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My midwife told me not to drink any milk at all. She said, "Do you drink dog milk? Giraffe milk? Then why drink cow milk?"

Try rice milk or just a plan glass of water. 98 lbs is a lot! Give your body water when you have a food craving.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• There are much better sources of calcium. Here is a great resource: www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• ecodani- thats the first time i have seen someone talk sensibly about dairy. its baby cow food, not human food. i'm at fault for the cheese in the house, but that is the only dairy product we use, and on a limited basis.

high protein foods (like milk) are not good sources of calcium- it takes as much calcium as in in an 8oz glass of milk, to process the protein that is in it.
    but hey, i understand that majority rules... dairy facts are rarely accepted. funny though, where you get the info on dairy (USDA) was founded by the meat packers, dairy farmers, associations in the 50's to promote sales... anyway... if you feel that you MUST drink moo juice, why not switch to skim? 2% still has 5 Grams of fat per 8 oz..... thats still way too much!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009