for a first time mom what should i expect when i bring my newborn home?

how did it go for you? what was the schedule for you and you newborn???

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• be ready to not have sleep the first 2 days..!
    Butterflykiss15

Answer by Butterflykiss15 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i cant say for you for sure. but it was easier then i thought. newborns sleep alot! all they do: eat sleep and poop lol you wont get a full nights sleep but just keep telling yourself it wont last and thats what helped me threw.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• None of our family live nearby. My MIL flew in the day we were discharged and she was a HUGE help. Pretty much she and my husband ran errands (yeah, we procrastinated and were so not ready) the first day or two we were home. She did all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and took our dogs out for exercise. I stayed home and napped at least once a day during the day. My daughter ended up with jaundice and had to be on this paddle-like light therapy that was plugged into the wall so we (mostly me) would move her into the living room in the morning and pretty much just sit there all day with her. We had a makeshift changing table in there, too. I had the laptop in there and would surf the net while she slept or someone else would hold her and I would nap. Once she was off the light (a week after she was born) then my MIL and I and the baby would go out during the day for a few hours and do some shopping or walk around.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son was premie and wasnt gaining wieght so i HAD to wake him up every 2 hrs to feed even at night.

he was also jaundice but not severly so he had to be in sunlight alot, it was winter so that meant sitting him in front of the window where the light came through.

also had tons of drs visits.

But mostly he slept ate and pooed lol my mom was a huge help, considering i had a c-section and it was hard to get up and hold him for long.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• just based on my experience, i would be prepared to be sleep deprived for months. i knew that babies wake up a lot at night but i didn't think about that it would take 40 minutes to feed him each time he woke up for the first several weeks. so that is nurse from 10:00-10:40ish, "sleep" from 10:45-12:00, nurse from 12:00 to 12:40ish, "sleep" from 12:45-2:00. of course usually it would take me quite a while to get back to sleep. the feeding for many babies is like that 24 hours per day.
    i don't want to make breastfeeding sound bad because it really is great after the first few mos but i think it's good to be prepared so you don't get discouraged in the beginning. and also i have known formula feeding moms who have been through the exact same thing. :)
    also expect to fall in love, to be surprised that something that just came in your life all of a sudden becomes the most important, wonderful thing. ;) lol
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• the smiling comes later and then that is really great :D
    Stefanie83

• no sleep.............ever! lol no I'm just kidding but really sleep when he/she sleeps & take help when offered!!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• First, most babies (especially as newborns) don't have a schedule, and won't be on one, at least for a little while. Sometimes they will sleep through the night (if your lucky) but probably not. They do sleep a average of 16 hours a day but NOT consecutively lol. Try to sleep when the baby sleeps. The first couple of months it will be nothing but eating, pooping, and sleeping.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 4:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Sleep when the baby sleeps. Try to prepare meals ahead of time. Dont worry about anything but you and the baby. You will run on the babies schedual and dont let anyone tell you any differnt, atleast for the first couple months!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Oh, what Stephanie83 said about falling in love - ditto that! I sometimes look at my daughter and start tearing up and then I'll think - how can anyone do harm to something so small and innocent - and then I have to think of something else or I'll start bawling. All those things you read about the love you feel for your baby, to me, they all sound so cheesy, but it's so true.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009