Question for any BBWs: When will stores learn that not all heavy people are 2 foot tall and 10 foot wide?

Any other BBWs out there sick of this stuff?? I have to pretty much buy from Catherine's now even tho stores like Walmart supposedly carry my size (3x). I've been everywhere, and it's always the same!! So called plus sizes that really aren't that big, and are made for someone super short but super wide!! I have a big stomach, big chest, no rear and stuff never fits me right. Almost everything is too short, it's so annoying!! I'd love to buy cheaper stuff, but I rarely can, and have to fork out the mega bucks for places like Catherine's. I love their stuff, but really, it'd be nice if other places had stuff I could wear too.

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I'm not BBW, but I have heard other friends say this is a problem for them, too. I'm amazed that there are Big & Tall stores for men that are fairly reasonably priced, but nothing like a Big & Tall for women. My sister in law is 6 feet tall and wears a women's size. It's hard for her, too.
    Sounds like an opportunity for a fashion student, huh?
    Good luck, hon.

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• try a lane bryant or torrid if you are looking for a younger look
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yup. Pants are the worst. Lane Bryant's "right fit" or whatever is long enough, but any other pants I have to find men's in my size.
    Anonymous

• (I'm the OP again) I haven't had much luck with Lane Bryant/Cato/Avenue and such, cause they don't carry enough shirts that are truly roomy enough or long enough for me. I don't like to be squeezed into stuff, and there stuff seems to run small, even the biggest they carry, and doesn't cover my big belly. Most jeans are big enough but I'm built weird and no zip jeans fit me just right (tight in belly, baggy in seat) so I tend to wear the stretch-waist type now. I have found a lot of the "plus size" stores to not carry the really big sizes, and tend to slim down even the sizes they do have so Catherine's is really the only place I can find stuff unless I just get lucky and find a random shirt somewhere.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• you're kidding me right? i'm 5'2", wear size 16, and sometimes by clothing at ps stores/departments..but my take is that ps-clothing makers think all ps women are super tall, and big chested! i constantly have pants tailored, sleeves shortened, and darts removed/changed in blouses. and good luck finding jeans if you're on the shortside and heavy...tailoring pants/slacks is nothing, but a pair of jeans never looks right after tailoring.
    Anonymous

• lol, you are top heavy.... i have the exact opposite problem. big booty and thighs, plus i'm tall so i definately feel your pain
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Its just the opposite problem for me. I'm 4'11" and 100 lbs. The jeans are made for people who are about 5'9" no kidding!!! Come on who is 5'9" and 100lbs?!?!?! So I feel your pain. I'm not sure who they test these clothes on but its obviously not real people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I could have written this! I am in exactly the same boat as you are! Everything is TOO SHORT.
    Like we WANT our guts and butts hanging out, right? Yes, Catherines does pretty good, but their value line is skimpy on the length. And their sizes run smaller than average too. I've had better luck with Lane Bryant and Women Within catalogs. They give the length measurement and I know not to but anything less than 30". The 32 inch shirts tuck under your but and make it look fatter, but 28" makes your belly show. You could order a 2x from then cuz they run large. And they have fairly inexpensive stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2009