How to tell someone to take a bath?

I see a mother and teen daughter, and a mother and a grown son wondering around downtown. Both sets are not taking care of themselves, at all. These people stink badly (greasy hair, body odor and everything)!!!

I work downtown, and I know have a list of businesses that are hiring.

How can I tell these people that the start of self-improvement is self maintenance? Plus, I'm just a block away from the Salvation Army, and I do know that they sell some really nice clothes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I would make a nice little gift bag type this with some toiletries and maybe a few items of clothes...then put in a little note about how you feel the self-improvement bit, i think thats a nice push in right direction...sometime people need a starting point and having some basics given to them may help...but dont take it personal if it doesnt stick---some people are where they are b/c they want to be...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• People who don't take care of hygiene usually have a mental problem; or a drug one, in my experience.
    If you know that they are looking for a job, you can direct them first to the Salvation Army where they have counselors that will explain appropriate hygiene and dress for job hunting.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• are they homeless?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• Instead of accidentally insulting them I would create a gift basket/ bag and tell them that you won or received more than one so you want to give that one away. They can very well be helpless. I hope that things work out for them.
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 1:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009

• there really is no nice way of telling someone they stink. lol. chances are they already know. just cause they wander doesn't mean they're homeless either. hmmm. i wouldn't bother.
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2009