Why does society say that it is ok for men to be driven to have casual sex but it is not a woman's nature to be that way?

We are all sexual animals. We are all driven to be sexually intimate. I think it's bull that men are excussed for their casual sexual drives but then when a women is that way she is shamed. If a women is depicted as strong and independent that is ok for many but if she is portrayed as some 'strong sexually independent' woman then she is being portrayed falsely bc woman cannot be driven by sex this way. This is completely biased. IMO it is wrong for both men and women to be so sexually careless or loose. Everyone should have more respect for themselves and for the way sex brings two people together. Even though I think they are equally wrong I have had my fill of hearing women attack women for being loose sexually because they aren't men and they shouldn't act like men. Men shouldn't act like men then. We should not excuse that because historically it has been accepted. It does not mean men are uncontrollably that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• double standard has been around forever, and will continue to be around some more. I totally agree with you!

Answer by older at 4:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Not that I agree with this but one argument that I have heard is that it's in a man's nature to procreate with as many woman as possible to keep the population booming. Apparently (I haven't researched this myself but this is what i'm told) there is scientific evidence to back this. Don't know if it's true but i can see that...still don't agree with it but I guess I can see it.
    RNmama09

Answer by RNmama09 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree that society has a double standard which is unfair.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm not sure why society views it that way, although I have heard of the 'to populate the Earth drive' as mentioned above. I personally believe it to be just as important and valuable for men to be chaste before marriage as it is for women. Just my opinion though.
    Anonymous

• RN with all due respect to whoever told you this, is full of crap! or was it a man who told you this? Do all those men who stray get their lovers pregnant? I should hope not! thanks for the laugh though!

Answer by older at 5:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• RNmama09---Here is a good articles to read. Men and women are different in the way they see things. However, they are not that different when it come to sexuality- biologically speaking.
    http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/sexsurv.htm

There is lots more research out there too.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I have never felt that way nor do I feel it's right to believe this way. Sex is fun - end of story. It's not a comitment, it's not sacred, it's not some holy thing that we should covet or hide. It's natural and a hell of a lot of fun... My attitude has always been if you want to have sex, have sex. Period. Not, it's okay for men to do this or women shouldn't do this... Go enjoy yourselves!

My real quesiton is why are women such prudes? You know how many times I've heard a WOMAN say it's okay for men to sleep around but now women... Are you kidding? Talk about self hate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It stems from the fact that it is easier to determine parentage if the mother is monogamous. As far as the theory that RN posted, it is reproductively desirable for a male to create progeny with as many females as possible. But some species don't go that route & it is difficult to determine what our natural instincts were before we invented culture to tell us what to do. So the theory is considered plausible, but ultimately unprovable.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• As for the here & now, I agree completely with Sabrina.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Definitely a double standard. Seriously, who are these men supposed to sleep with if the women are supposed to be chaste?

Women should be encouraged to be selective over their partners since they carry the burden of pregnancy. But given the huge number of illegitimate kids without fathers out there, the men need to step up to the plate too!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009