When you eat in a buffet restaurant, do you tip? Do you tip the same as if you were to go to a regular restaurant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• no :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• SOMETIMES I tip. If the service was awesome then I tip, but never as much as I do in a restaurant. A lot of places you fill your drinks yourself so all the waitress does is take your dirty plates (big deal). But if they were quick, super-friendly, and super attentive I leave a small tip.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 5:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If a server brings clean plates, drinks, a check, or so forth, then we tip about 10%.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I wish I knew the answer to this too. I always do but never the 15-20% that you should in a restaruant that serves you. Being a waiter or waitress is tough work, at a buffet it seems all they do is take my plate before Im done with it.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes! It there is even a server to bring my drink I tip. Chances are they are only earning a server's pay, which here is $2.83 and they still have to bring the drinks, clean up the plates and keep you happy... If it's the kind where they give you your cup and fork at the counter on your way in and you do all the work - with NO server. Then no.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• According to what I read here too it seems that 10% would be playing it safe to tip.

Anonymous

• Here you pay a flat rate and you get your own food and drinks. All the service staff does is clear the tables. For that I will leave $5. I feel that that's fair.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We do tip about 15%. Especially if they are on top of things- like refilling your drinks, taking dirty plates, and bringing you clean ones etc.

It's probably a lot more work since most people will be dirtying two or three plates and possibly staying longer than you would at a regular restaurant.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely...I even tip at Sonic
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• No, but I tip at sonic.
    Anonymous