Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I stop a garnishment after the amount has been paid?

My husbands check has been garnished for about 5 pay periods now. I called the collector to see what the full balance was and they told me it was for $362.19 well his payroll department has taken out over $800.00 and the collector hasnt got any payment yet so do I get them to stop taking money out of his check now that they have taken out what they judgement was for

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • You first need to find out where the money has gone...and get it sent to the creditor. Then the creditor needs to send the payroll department a notice that the money is paid in full.

    Is it possible there's more than one garnishment? Because they're not supposed to take more than what's owed, and they're supposed to automatically stop upon payment in full.

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • No that is the only collector that I know its a credit card of my husbands before we were married. the lady I spoke to at the collections office looked it up to see if there was any more judgements and there wasnt any listed. Then she told me that they dont get the money until it is paid in full which it is and that it was up to my husbands employer to send the money and stop the garnishment. But the pay roll department wont talk to me and never returns my husbands phone calls. I just want to get it done and over with before his next check on tuesday so they arent taking out anymore.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • Next step for you is the labor board, then. They are incorrectly garnishing wages and that's a labor board matter.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • You might need to get a statement from the court or other local dept. that handles the judgment and garnishment stating that the judgment is satisfied and then take that to HR.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

  • The place of business that had the garnishment in place really needs to release the garnishment.  So you need to contact them so they will release it. 


    Answer by patchthatpays at 12:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.