My son is 17 months old and when we go out anywhere, he won't listen to me or stay with me. I try taking him to storytime at the library, parks, but all I end up doing is chasing him. Is this normal?

ladybuglane

Asked by ladybuglane at 5:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not normal if you discipline.
    Anonymous

• I'd say it's very normal. It seems especially with boys we're more likely to let them run wild. My son has only in the last few months begun to understand that he needs to hold my hand when we're out. They're really too young to understand why and if they can't understand why, they'll rarely care about it. You just have to keep working on him with it. Do you have an enclosed park where it's safe for him to run around? I find he understands much better how to behave when he can see places he's in charge vs places he needs to listen.
    If he's not listening when we're out, I'll hold him or put him in a cart. If he's acting out, we leave. He gets that I'm not going to give in to him so he doesn't often cause a problem.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 7:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Yes, it's totally normal. That age I found really hard to do story time, etc. At that stage, I had a two month-old strapped to me, so the chase was always interesting... My big girl is 2 1/2 now... she's very well disciplined and was at 17 months. They start acting a bit more civilized in a few months. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son is in this phase, only he is 2 1/2 and it has been this way for a while. I found that taking him to mcdonalds playplace has helped.. he has to sit down and eat and then he can go play.. and this is an enclosed place where it is okay and you can focus on explaining boundaries and staying near you without having to worry about chasing him and looking like an idiot like i delt with lol. It is getting better, but discipline is definatly a plus.
    MickeysMom19

Answer by MickeysMom19 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I kind of take the anon comment personally... my son will be 3 in January and still runs off, and trust me I discipline him! He's just so curious he doesn't want to stay with me... So don't worry about it. Wait a couple more months.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2009