My 13mo old son has a habit of angrily "throwing" everything when he is done w/it?

It seems silly b/c of his age but seriously I would love to break that habit quickly! When he is eating or drinking or playing w/a toy once he decides he is done he will throw it hard on the floor & sometimes whine like he wants it back but if you try to give it back ( his sippy cup for example ) he will throw it back!? He dont usually push it away or turn his head or shake his head no as like a warning sign just will reach for it or whine then seconds later BOOM!! The crazy part is AFTER he throws stuff down ( I hate it when its food! ) THEN he raises the brows & shakes his head no like he is not interested. Is this normal? Anyone else dealt w/this or dealing w/this? What can I do? It drives me nutz!!

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 13 month is the same way, but it's not out of anger, they just don't know that things have a place yet. I'm starting to teach her to bring me things.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• yep I have a 13 month old too & he does the same thing. & he will actually spit his food back out at me if he don't want it. its just normal like banging things together :)
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My son did the same thing until I showed him what to do when he was done. I showed him to put his cup in the holder on his highchair tray or on the table when he was done, where to put toys or books when he was done and then showed him to throw balls, not everything else. He caught on pretty quickly. Every time he threw his cup I would put it where it belongs and say "yay" or make it a positive thing when he finally put it in the right spot. Picking up toys and books was harder and we are still working on that one. Good luck mommy!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2009