My 18 month old eats a banana and waffle for breakfast and his still hungry. Should I give him an extra waffle or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's plenty for a 18 month old, he needs a glass of milk to go with it.
    Anonymous

• OP- he does have a sippy cup full of milk.
    Anonymous

• Yeah give him more if you want an obese child!
    Anonymous

• OP- breakfast is the only meal he really eats. Lunch and dinner he picks at. He is very small for his age.
    Anonymous

• Spread some peanut butter on the waffle, and maybe an extra 1/2 banana.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• He may be going through a growth spurt and needs the extra calories.
    Also, a banana and waffle may not be a proper breakfast for him. I'm a nutritionist and the first thing I thought of was where's the protein?
    Some good protein sources are eggs, lean meats, dairy, nuts,...
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Okay, feed kids if they are hungry, but make sure it's good food. Then, you cut out obesity. In that vein, add some protein. Reduced fat cheese, maybe? A slice of lean turkey? A hard boiled egg? If he's hungry, feed him. Having your kid constantly hungry isn't going to really help with obesity later in life. It's going to lead to him binging when food is in front of him.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Oh, my 13 month old eats 1/2 a waffle (I make big homemade waffles, and a half is about the size of an eggo), a banana (or other fruit about the same size), and a piece of cheese for breakfast most mornings. She doesn't drink milk, but has a glass of water. She is normally ready for a snack after 2.5 hours.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If he's hungry FEED HIM. Feeding him is not going to make him obese! OMG, how stupid!

Mine have eaten 2 waffles and fruit since they were about a year old! Some kids have a bigger appetite than others. As long as everything is in moderation and he's plenty active you're fine. How would you like it if someone you looked up to told you that you couldn't have anything more to eat and you were still hungry?
    Anonymous

• Our general rule is you're allowed to eat until you're full. My son has a huge appetite. At 18 months he'd have two or three pancakes, a handful of blueberries, a banana, and a cup of milk for breakfast and be ready for a snack in an hour. He's now 22 months and is still eating about the same amount with a few extra berries.
    We're very active and he's burning everything off so I don't see the point in limiting food. He's in the 50th percentile for weight and 95th for height.

If he's small, let him eat if he wants more. Also, is he drinking a lot of juice or anything during the day? He may be filling himself up before meals. Listen to your little man, not to those afraid of obesity.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 7:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009