do you think he needs speech therapy?

i'd just like some opinions! all youngens develop at their own pace and it shouldnt have to be a race, when they reach certain milestones. well my son's dr. is all about charts and what "should be done by a certain age". at the 18 month visit they asked some general questions for the milestone age, such as "are you concerned about speech, are you concerned about social....etc". I did mention a bit of a concern about speech, only because I tend to compare my son to others his age (I am a first time mom afterall), and he doesnt seem to talk clearly as much as some. but he babbles A LOT and understands A LOT, and does say a few clear words. well after filling out a large packet with questions, the dr. concluded he needs speech therapy. do you think 18 months old is a little young for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I actually think there are more kids out there who were "missed' that need speech therapy. I am surprised at the number of kids who seem behind on speech and the parents are not aware.

I would at least look into starting speech therapy and at the appointment the therapist will be able to better tell you how far he is behind or if there is no concern etc. It's not going to harm him to do therapy.
    Anonymous

• It can't hurt any. I am fostering a little boy that is almost 16 months and recieves speech help. If you think it's too ealry then tell him you want to wait a while. I would personally want him to have it if the doctor reccomends it... Either way you decide to go, Good Luck!!! :D
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• no i started speech class at 18 months when i was a baby
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• All I can say is if you trust your dr's opinion, do it now. I wish I could have put my (step) son in speech therapy that young, he is now four and it causes massive behavior problems because he' can't effectively communicate what he is trying to get across, and it is so frustrating for everyone involved!
    BooBearsMomma

Answer by BooBearsMomma at 7:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think if he can say at least 10 words I wouldn't worry much about it. If he has less than that I think I would do the therapy.... or at least have them evaluate him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I was the one who asked our MD if my little one was behind. I was busy comparing her to her older sister and according to that, she was way behind. I started asking between 12-15 months. Our MD told me that 18-24 months is when speech is supposed to take off. She just turned 2 and I have noticed a huge difference. She is still not where her sister was at this age. She is now in the middle of the group when I compare her to kids her age. The MD has us do a lot of talking to her, reading to her, making sure we name everything when she is asking for something. I know some speech therapists and they said they do the same activities during their sessions. They also told me that unless there was a major identifiable problem, the child is normally only seen once a week to once every two weeks (that's just in my area). For me, that little bit wasn't worth pushing for it especially since I could do the same things at home.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Its not what they are saying at this age but what they understand. If he clearly understands what you are telling him & can follow simple directions then no he doesnt need speech therapy this young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No, its not too young. My son clearly understood plenty at that age but had all but stopped talking. We contacted Early Intervention and he was receiving therapy by 20 months. Now, at 28 months, he has over 100 words (he started with 3) and is putting words together into simply sentences. His behavior has improved as his speech has improved. I firmly believe he would NOT be where he is without the help he received.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 6:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• No, 18 months is not too young. My 2nd and 3rd children started speech therapy around that age and now my 4th is starting at 11 months. My oldest has autism, so I was very proactive about getting them started. Both my 2nd and 3rd kids (now 8 and 9) are academically gifted, so it has nothing to do with intelligence. If they are willing to give him some speech therapy, take it! When my daughter was 3 she had the clearest, most beautiful speech!

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• At 18 months, I would not worry about. The best thing that you can do is talk to him. Do not talk baby talk to him. Talk to him. Read to him. He will begin to mimic you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2009