Anyone had a child who received a paddling in school?

My daughter informed me yesterday that she is to receive 5 swats with a wooden paddle for ditching her elective class. She was caught eating a snack in the lounge and did not have a hall pass. I knew corporal punishment was in the discipline curriculum, but my child has been well behaved in the past and is a good student. The alternative to the paddling is an all-day, in-school suspension and she does not want to miss her regular classes. It almost seems as if she is being coerced into taking a paddling since the alternative punishment seems a bit harsh. Have you had a child who was paddled in school? Was it a really painful experience or mostly just used for humiliation tactics? We live in a southern state where this practice is still legal in many districts. I know she broke the rule and should be reprimanded; I just personally feel this is a bit harsh for a first-time offense. She is 14 and is in the 8th grade, btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had one and it hurt...mostly my pride, but it hurt...the other thing is, if ,as a parent you spank your child, you can get charged with abuse, but it's ok to paddle in school? doesn't make sense
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I have not been paddled, but my sister who went to school with me did. She was in the 7th grade and she was paddled for a similar offense of skipping a class. I don't remember how many swats she got but she said that it defintiely hurt and she cried a little and that her bum was really sore for about a day. I do think that the alternative of an all-day suspension is a bit harsh so it does sound like she is sort of being forced to take the alternative punishment. At least it will be over quickly and hopefully it won't sting too bad. Just make sure she is smart about future decisions so she doesn't get it again. She sounds like a good kid so hopefully this is the worst trouble she ever gets into. I hope this helps and best of luck to you both!
    Anonymous

• Um, I'd be uncomfortable with a 14 year old being paddled. That seems odd. Who is going to supervise this? If she prefers this punishment, I'd insist on YOU being there. And check this out - she's doing this SO SHE WON'T MISS CLASS. The irony. :)

Most schools REQUIRE parental notification AND consent. This sounds a bit odd to me.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I was paddled in school, many years ago, as were my children. I did not have to be notified, they broke rules, they were punished. It's not humiliation, it's disipline. The oldest two are perfectly wonderful responsible adults. The youngest is a great guy, all of 19 years old, so he's not quite so perfect. But I can see that he's coming along just fine. By the way, if children know the disipline is in place, and have no doubts about it, they don't require it very often.
    peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 6:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I bet she won't do that again. I think they need to bring this back into schools, the kids wouldn't be running the teachers any more.
    Anonymous

• Yes. The teacher spanked him, and then I spanked him. I have spanked students. Like it or not, be a bleeding heart liberal that thinks it is just "awful" to punish a child, but it works. I didn't have any more trouble out of the students I spanked or the classes they were in. You can look around you and tell immediately every child who has parents who spank and ones who don't. The children who don't are arrogant, disrespectful, they have a sense of entitlement, and their parents think their kids never, ever do anything or say anything wrong. These are the parents who show up at school and tell the teacher their child would never do _____. They blame the teacher for the issues, and they try to keep their children from having to face any type of punishment. The spanking parents tell the teacher - no problem - it won't happen again - I promise!
    Anonymous

• Uh...hell no. no one touches my child except me.
    Now...the problem is that you knew this was a potential punishment...something IMO is completely barbaric and should be outlawed everywhere....and I agree it sounds harsh given the circumstances and her good behavior in the past....I would talk to the principle and see if there is another option.
    Then you might consider moving to some place that doesn't live in the 19th century anymore....geez!

Oh and to the above post....I do not spank my child and he is a very well behaved and respectful child-esp in school. If you want to spank your own kids that is your choice, but to have anyone else lay hands on a child that isn't his--No WAY!
    Anonymous

• 14 seems a bit old for paddling, especially by someone not related to you. I can't help thinking it's somehow gross and immoral really. Who is going to be paddling your 14 year old daughter? A male or female? (Believe me, I don't usually think that everyone in the world is a pervert, but this one time I'm thinking it).

I would not tolerate any of my children being paddled by the school at any age. I find it unacceptable. If I, the parent want to spank/paddle, that's one thing, but a stranger, NO WAY!
    Anonymous

• I thought spankings were for children. Seriously if I were 14 and got spanked I'd turn around and beat the crap out of the person. I would NEVER allow someone else to touch my child. The line between a spanking and abuse is a thin one. It's one thing to spank your own child but you would let a stranger do it? What if it's a man? Do you want some old perv near your daughter's rear end?
    Anonymous

• No one busts my son's ass but ME! If the school pulled that shit I would find me the biggest cut throat asshole lawyer I could find and sue them!
    Anonymous