How can I help my boys sleep better?

When Jake was a baby, we couldn't afford a crib right away. So he slept with me, and I will admit it was hard letting him sleep by himself.
But after 5 (almost 6) kids, I would love getting some alone time with Jay. But the boys all wake up crying saying they had a nightmare. How am I just supposed to let them sleep on their own after that?
So these last few months have been horrible! They all three come sleep with me, and with all the comotion, the girls wake up.
Jay gets up and brings the boys to our bed and he usually gets up and gets the girls back to sleep. He says when I'm pregnant I shouldn't be so stessed. However, I can see he is almost falling asleep when he leaves the house.
This bad sleeping habbit needs to change before someone gets hurt. It is just so hard for the boys. Any help?

Teen---Momma

Asked by Teen---Momma at 6:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With 6 kids, you can't let them all come into your bed. Unless you have about 4 beds in your room. :) So, you may have to make a blanket rule (unfortunately) about no sleeping with you. But, you can go to them and stay until they are asleep. I would be surprised if they are actually having a nightmare every night, you know? Change what happens when they have one, and see how it falls out. This is stressful for you, and for him, and something does need to change. You can do rewards for staying in their own beds, or just make a rule. There's a lot of leeway here, depending on each child's age.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Well, I remember what my dad would do when I said I was scared or had a nightmare. He would would tell me (almost yelling) to go back to sleep and that he was scarier then anything else. Needless to say, he was a horrible man, but while I wouldn't follow his method completely I would say that in your case you may need to be firm with them and tell them to stay in their own bed. The reason they tell you its a 'nightmare' is because they know that you'll let them sleep with you if they say that. You're only making the problem worse by giving them what they want.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 6:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2009