Medicaid Question

My husband recently lost his job and we had to apply for some assistance, including medicaid for our two sons. Since we didn't have health insurance to begin with, they told me to bring in the hospital bills from the birth of my son (he's 11 weeks old) and they would back pay it because the payments were so high. I just talked to a dr and she said if our income was too high when he was born that they wouldn't pay. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? We litterally have NO income, and while he's searching for a job, things aren't so hot here, and we can't afford the payments for the birth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Health

• take your bills to DHS anyways, your caseworker knows what your circumstances are and wouldnt have told you to take your bills in, the docs do not keep up with all the medicaid income guidelines and may not exactly know your personal financial situation. Im sure they will pick up the bill, there is a special program for that in most states, people just dont always know whats available until DHS tells them
    Anonymous

• Take the bills in for your caseworker to review. If you now have no income, they generally go back and cover any medical expenses within the last 3 months regardless of what your income was at the time.
    Anonymous