Where did you give birth?

In a hospital? A birthing center? or a at home?

What was your experience like? And do you look forward to the same experience again? (if you plan on having more)

What would you change? And what kind of advice do you have for a women who plans on having a similar birthing experience as yours?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was supposed to give birth at a birthing center, but they were understaffed when I went into labor, so I had to be at the hospital. I totally failed to progress at all after 30 hours of strong, strong contractions (I stayed home for most of it to do as little as possible at the hospital); then I ended up needing a c-section at about 50 hours... so I'm glad I was where I was. No, it wasn't one of those c-sections for the hospitals convenience. It's an anatomical issue... so with my second, I was back at the hospital, this time much less traumatized.

Whatever you do, just be sure that you have thought through what you want, you've talked to the people who will be assisting you to make your wishes known, and then be prepared for things to be absolutely nothing like you planned. That's birth.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• 2 in a hospital, and not pleased with either experience.
    1 @ our local birthing center- was wonderful. if i could still have children i would have a home birth, but shoot for another water birth. that's what i wanted with the first two, but couldn't do in the state we were living in... i will say, anyone wanting a NCB experience, stay the heck away from a hospital setting. you'll literally have to fight (at your most vulnerable time) for your rights. surround yourself with people who will support you, and have your best interest in mind, and BECOME INFORMED. you have rights as a woman, and as a birthing mother. rights that the medical community would like to see taken away. oh, and btw- the book "what to expect when you are expecting" should be burned...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• First was hospital with a great midwife and I liked it, but would have preferred a birth center or at home. Second was hospital with doctor (due to insurance) and hated it. I will NOT do that again, I will pay out of pocket for the whole thing before I do that again, but we don't plan on anymore kids either. If we do have another then it will most likely be at home with a midwife since there are no birth centers nearby. My advice is give birth where YOU and your partner feel comfortable and educate yourself before making decisions on anything related to your care.
    Anonymous

• All three in hospital with very minimal intervention. My experience probably isn't comparable to a lot of people here though because I'm Canadian... from what I've read of birth in the US there is more pressure in the US to have interventions and a higher c-section rate. My hospital's written policy was that a healthy woman should be able to walk in and give birth with NO intervention (no IV drip, no pitocin, no pain drugs, no epi) if she wanted. I never felt pressure to have an intervention that I didn't want and my birth plan was respected and the nurses really supported me wanting drug free births. I would do it again if I had another, though if I were in the US I would probably be looking at a birthing centre or home birth isntead of a hospital birth, just based on what I've read about high intervention rates in the US.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• freela- i am envious. it is standard practice to immediately strap a woman to a bed with a monitor, give her an IV, and sell the drugs. i wish women could get through their minds that this is NOT normal. in the US you have an almost 1 in 5 chance of having an unplanned c-section... depending on what part of the country you live in... it is crazy!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• in a hospital. hoping for a home birth next time. so much safer, for so many reasons (if you aren't having any complications during pregnancy). ever seen the documentary by Rikki Lake called The Business of Being Born? very informative.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had my baby in a hospital. I had a good experience. I'd do it again.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Actually obby the number is up to 1 out of 3.

And yes kat. i have seen TBOBB as well as Pregnant in America
    ...funny thing is, i'm not pregnant. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I had Logan in the hospital.  I was induced and caved in to the stadol and eventually the epidural too.  Logan's heart rate got a little crazy at one point and they had to turn me on my side and give me oxygen.  The one thing that I didn't like that I still remember was how they made me push.  They had me hold my breath and push as hard as I could with each contraction.  It gave me the worst headache afterwards.  In the end I delivered vaginally, but it was far from the natural birth I had wanted.   

We are having this next baby at home. 

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My advice would be to:
    *Choose a birthing environment where you will be most comfortable (birthing center, home, hospital).
    *Figure out which provider aligns best with your philosophy of birth (midwife, OB).
    *Research potential establishments where you plan to give birth (assuming it's not at home).
    *Learn about the process of childbirth.

These are all things I wish I would have done more thoroughly with my first.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009