how do i get mt 19 month old to eat veggies?

My son is 19 months old and I used to make all of his babyfood for him. I just pureed fruits and veggies and he ate them all. But now when I try to give him regular vegetables, he won't eat them. He doesn't like the feel of them and he turns away from them. I don't know what to do.

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's definitely developmental... you may have to be creative for awhile... My first daughter always loved fruits and veggies and by two was eating a tossed salad with vinaigrette! My second, raised on the same stuff, has been SO difficult with veggies. We throw steamed broccoli in with mac n' cheese, make omelettes that are about 50/50 eggs and spinach, we try to find canned soups that are lower in sodium, veggie chili, frozen peas or anything mixed with pasta... Never stop offering them, no matter how much he turns away... that's what leads to 8 and 10 year-olds who somehow eat nothing but bread, cheese and meat. Instead, keep offering, keep slipping them in, and you'd be surprised that one day he'll go for it without turning his nose. Bribery can work at times, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with Emily
    and also, reintroduce over and over and over again. Taste buds change. and familiarity with a texture or sight of something makes a difference. Just because he didn't like it the first 10 times you offered it doesn't mean that he isn't going to like it this time. ...just be sure put a good amount of space between the item you are introducing. The same item once a month, or once every couple months.

also, and some parent's dont do this or don't agree, but with my boys they never got away from the table without at least TRYING the food. When they were that little, just one bite. Just one bite and if they didn't like it fine. but at least they tried it. Now that they are older (almost 4 and almost 5) they have to take 3 bites of a new food. ...They are NOT picky eaters. ...my older son has some issues with meats and the texture of some pasta. My younger son doesn't like pickles...but that's about it!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Keep on trying! Try some different "fun" presentations too- Sometimes with kids if it Looks "fun" they will be more inclined to eat it! (IE making faces with the veggies) Try preparing it differnt ways too- Maybe with different flavors your LO will be more likely to give it a taste! Good Luck!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I found that my daughter loves cheese and chicken quessadilla's . .I put peas or broccoli or (anything you want )in it and I put the chicken in the food proscessor so it is ground up really fine. She loves it . And it is really easy to make .
    sarbreen28

Answer by sarbreen28 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• lol yeah am still trying to get my 24yr old hubby to eat his. my dd is 31 mtsand hates them
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• i no this is gonna sound gross but maybe give them some ketchup to dip in. my dd will eat anything if she can dip it...i only give her a little bit of ketchup tho cuz she tends to put anything and everything in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2009