Almost 14 mo still spits out cow's milk, does it matter?

My daughter is breastfed, but we're weaning (she's doing it herself mostly; also I'm working more). She used to take a bottle of breastmilk as a baby, but we hadn't offered it in awhile; at around 12 months she took a bottle or two of cow's milk with my mom, no problem.... now, out of any kind of cup, she just spits it out and would rather have water. She gets plenty of calcium, I think... she'd eat yogurt and cheese all day long if I let her. Is milk really essential? We're down to two nursing sessions a day no, so I'm starting to worry about what will replace it. I'm not willing to do flavored milk.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 7:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My Mom told me that I NEVER would drink milk from the time I was a baby and I still do not drink it. Maybe she doesn't like it or maybe lactose intolerant?
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with SophiaofLight. My son was that same way. Maybe here stomach isn't strong enough. Cow's milk is not an essential. We only drink it b/c of the calcium it provides, but the truth is Vegans don't drink it and do just fine. You can get the calcium from dark green veggies, which is why cows have so much in their milk(its their diet). I suggest that you try Almond milk, Soy milk, Coconut milk, or even Hemp milk. (Almond Milk is my families favorite).

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• my daughter didnt like cow milk either so we switched her to soy milk and she was on it for about a year 1/2 after that she started drinking regular milk but with a little bit of flavoring in it
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 8:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I forgot to mention we have tried soy a lot because that's what my husband drinks -- she gives me this look like, "you're on something, mom, if you think I'm going to drink THAT"; and she's allergic to nuts. I guess I'll just keep trying with the cheese and yogurt... the leafy greens are a struggle these days, but I manage to hide them well enough that she does eat some. :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009