Why does my tot turn into a demon child at 5:30pm each evening???

My dd is 16 months old, and it seems that around 5:30pm each evening, she goes from being an easy-going, mild-mannered tot into a demon child! She gets super hyper and more than a bit defiant. Tonight, she had three different times when she had a "hissy-fit"-scratching, trying to bite me, tearing things off of the fridge (photos and other papers). I gave her hand a firm tap, and told her "no", but she just laughed it off. I insisted that she show me how to touch nicely, and after a bit she relented and stroked my hand nicely (instead of the scratching and biting). Then 15 minutes later, she was at it again!!

I don't believe in spanking, and I want her to trust me, but I don't want a bratty toddler either. Any advice on how to deal with her behavior before she gets older? I'm really getting frustrated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• If she hasn't eaten dinner yet by 5:30, definitely try feeding her earlier. This made all the difference for us. My first daughter was always fine waiting till 6, so that's what we were going with after our second daughter was born... we soon learned that if we don't have dinner on the table at 5:30, we're in for trouble with the little one. She's 14 months now. Sometimes I've even put dinner on the table at 5, which feels totally ridiculous to me because to me, dinner at 8 is ideal... Sometimes we feed the girls at 5 and then my husband and I eat together at 8 with a bottle of wine...

If she has already eaten, though, I'm stumped. Tired could definitely have something to do with it... or do you have a SO who gets home around that time? Sometimes those kinds of changes can affect them...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It sounds like maybe she is getting tired or hungry.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Put her to bed. 5:30 is not to early---especially for an obviously tired child.

My 23mo DD goes to bed at 6 and my 4.5yo DS goes to bed at 7. They both sleep until after 8am. (Neither of them nap.)

Check out the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Sounds like you need to start being a parent as oppose to a best friend. Wait til she gets to be a teenager!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• My 14 month old gets like that and then as soon as i give him dinner he is back to a happy child. Try feeding her earlier like the others mentioned if you think that could be the case. Or even give her a later snack in the day to hold her over.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 8:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

How am I being a "best friend" as opposed to a parent? She's only 16 months old. It's not like I can give her a time out or something. I give her boudaries and I follow through on what I say. It's only in the evenings that she beigins to get fiesty.
    Anonymous

• She either needs sleep or food. Classic signs of lowering blood sugar and sleepiness in a child. Feed her at 5, and put her to bed.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she is tired and hungry. My dd used to do that at her age. I would try and feed her earlier and moving her bedtime up an hour. I bet that will do the trick.

Oh and please ignore the morons on here that tell you to stop being her friend. She is still a baby.
    Anonymous