the old room-sharing conundrum

My girls are in the same room -- almost 14 months, and almost 2 1/2. They go to bed great. A few months ago, my younger daughter was sleeping all the way through (about 8pm till at least 7). She did this for 3-4 weeks, and then we moved and now they share a room. Now, she wakes up to nurse somewhere between 4 and 5:30. Usually, she'll go back to sleep if I nurse her, so we have a pack n' play in our bedroom for that. But if I don't run in there to get her, my other daughter wakes up... we've even had this happen at 4am, and once she's up, even at 4, she's ready to go! So I know I'm reinforcing the early-morning nursing session that I know she doesn't need, but I can't figure out how to stop it... Also, she's weaning and down to 2-3 feedings a day. Will she just keep that one forever? I have to be away from her for a week in December. Help!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 7:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 26 month old son slept right through his late night/early morning session one night, and then continued to do so the 2 following nights. On the 4th night, when he woke up I simply told him we were not going to nurse but we could cuddle if he wanted to. For the next week, if he woke up, it was the same deal. When he woke up we would cuddle and go back to sleep. Within a week he stopped waking up at all.

Something like this might work for you.
    Anonymous

• Is there any way you could give them their own room? If my son get's up that early, we tell him to lay there in bed until it's time to get up. You can tell your daughter to do that. I didn't breast feed that long, so Im not sure what to tell you. I would give the baby a bottle and let her go back to bed on her own.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• We don't have any more rooms in our house.

Believe me, we've tried everything to get our 2 1/2 year old to stay in bed until a reasonable hour (say, 6am); nothing works. She'll scream her head off.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'd resort to TV if I were in that position.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Bottles in bed are a big no-no, and toddlers watching tv rather than sleeping is also not ok - - please ignore that advice, as well meaning as it may be :)

I would try something like what anon. suggested - get up with the little one at 4 and cuddle, rather than nurse - the stress of moving and sharing a room are making her search out for more comfort and nursing is how she's going about it, but a good cuddle might do the trick.
    With your toddler, if she gets up that early, acknowledge that she's up, tell her it's too early to be out of bed, but that if she would like a book or puzzle in her bed with her, that would be ok. The screaming should die down if she's occupied.
    Good luck!!!!!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2009