Should I take a lamaze class? I'm in the last trimester and wondering if lamaze is useful.

maria1155

Asked by maria1155 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Extremely useful, take it if anything it will help you cope with relaxing and make labor bearable.

Answer by older at 8:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Thanks! Do you need to bring a partner with you to lamaze or can I take it alone?
    maria1155

Answer by maria1155 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I think you need a partner, but some classes let you go alone, either way it is good, you will not regret it. Call and ask if they mind if you go by yourself.

Answer by older at 8:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• if by lamaze you mean a natural birth class, then yes. the "lamaze" that was so popular in the 90s has kind of died away and even lamaze international has moved away from their original methods. :)
    Anonymous

• thanks for your advise. I will make sure to call. Oh and another question..when is good to start going? I'm due xmas day so I'm 8 months right now. I should probably go soon right?
    maria1155

Answer by maria1155 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• well I'm not planning on having a natural birth....I do beleive in pain medication. See that's what I thought. I thought lamaze was for women who are planning a natural birth.
    maria1155

Answer by maria1155 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Don't wait until the last month. There was a lady in my child birth class that was 36 weeks at the first class and at the third she wasn't there. Her mom came down and let us know she was in labor.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I didn't take lamaze - mainly because I couldn't find classes. It turned out my baby was breech, so I didn't end up needing them, because he ended up coming via emergency c-section.

Anyhow - my doctor encouraged the classes even though if you're having an epidural because it will prepare you for what to expect. Things like how when you are in labor and you get to the hospital they'll give you fluids before the epidural because the epidural will lower your blood pressure, which is not good for the baby. The fluids help keep your b.p. up.

Just thought I'd share what my doctor told me!
    Diveqat

Answer by Diveqat at 9:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• OP, take it now, you don't have much time left!

Answer by older at 9:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2009

• thanks for all your helpful advise!!!
    maria1155

Answer by maria1155 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2009