My baby is 4 months old and we want to TTC again but my period hasn't returned do to breastfeeding! Is there anyone who has gotten pregnant while breastfeeding without a period?

My DH and I had trouble getting pregnant with our first. It took a really long time but we finally conceived after numerous fertility treaments and doctor recommended methods.

I've talked to my doctor and she says that with my history of a healthy pregnancy and an uncomplicated delivery she's okay with us TTC again so soon.

My problem is I'm breastfeeding and my period hasn't returned yet. I don't want to quit breastfeeding and my doctor says it's perfectly safet to breastfeed during pregnancy but what do I do about getting my fertility to return or do I just have to wait it out?

I know some women get pregnant before getting their period back but how often does this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do not have to have a period to ovulate. You just don't know when you're ovulating. You can either spend the money on the ovulation test kits, or you can just have sex every other day - then you'll at least be hitting it at the right time.
    Anonymous

• I did. But my son was 12 months at the time. You may want to wait just a bit longer so you don't have to wean your little one prematurely as your milk supply will drop a few months into the pregnancy!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I agree with anon, you should be good to go! I have known a couple of people who thought they could not get preggo while breastfeeding and they were pregnant within 3 months after giving birth!! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 8:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• It's EXTREMELY common to get pregnant without ever seeing a period.

But be aware that your body is regulating you in order to ensure that you are healthy enough and baby will be healthy. There's some new research indicating that close pregnancies can cause prematurity. Someone posted about it in another thread.

And this might be encouraging...over on the Breastfeeding Moms group, we have a member who just learned today that she is pregnant. She had been planning to wean to go on fertility meds in March, but no need.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2009